How reliable is Parity?

xtrips

Hello,

Last week, as once every month, the Parity job ran, it was stuck at 70% and one of my HDDs started to give errors. I stopped and retried, same thing. Then a second HDD started to give errors too. Still stuck at 70%. I used the forum and sent a diagnostic file. I was told that both HDDs were at the end of their career. They were both WD Green, so I reluctantly went and bought 2 replacement HDDs, WD Red this time.
I used ddrescue to clone the 2 drives, no errors at all.
After I was done the Parity job ran smooth.

I had a doubt because ddrescue didn't show any errors so I used  Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic windows tool to thoroughly check both HDDs (couldn't be bothered to run preclear on the server).

Both HDDs finished the extended surface read and write check with flying colors.

So what does it mean? Is Unraid Parity unreliable? Did I spend money on new drives with no reason? 

Hard drive errors can be caused by many things besides outright failure. When you physically removed them, you changed several major factors, power, connection alignment, cables, etc.

The WD data lifeguard is biased to pass any serviceable drive, even if it's near the end of life. Slow and unreliable drives can still pass their tool.

Hard drive errors can be caused by many things besides outright failure. When you physically removed them, you changed several major factors, power, connection alignment, cables, etc.

The WD data lifeguard is biased to pass any serviceable drive, even if it's near the end of life. Slow and unreliable drives can still pass their tool.

Ok. Any suggestion about any serious tool to check those 2 HDD? Preferably something that runs on windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro