First month, reinstalling driver and chromes died

gruffdris

So ive been using unraid for the last month or so as a a way to combine my old 2120T running my docker and nas with my gaming rig below.

After a week with this running 6 threads and the gpu to a windows 10 vm and 2 threads for docker i had to shutdown due to a windows update on rebooting images appeared to be messed up and chrome loaded a black screen. The only way i seem able to clear this was to re install the gpu drivers inside the VM.

First setup

intel 6700k

16gb 2666 ripjaw

amd r9 fury

256gb m.2 (cache)

3x 8tb red (1 parity) (2 pool)

1x 4tb blue (pool)

2x 2tb wdc (pool)

So i accepted i needed more cores, more ram, more drives and another gpu upgrade to fully enjoy this journey as we all do. So with a new x570 strix-f, ryzen 3900x, 32gb 3600mhz and a 15bay 4u case i get to the rebuild. All fitted out i get ready to power up and have the girlfriend mash delete for the bios upstairs, nothing but aura lights fill my view but no fans, i eventually notice the ram error light. Down to 2 sticks and its booted i head up setup my bios, power down add the other 2 sticks and im in to unraid. Threads list one side of my screen So i head to VM's add more ram and cores to my VM and try to start it. Nothing, i check the logs and realize that the gpu is hostage to the login cli. 4 hours later of these forums, reddit and the amazing spaceinvader saves the day with the "how to reset a passed through gpu". 

So im back into windows flexing the new speed transcoding plex 4k streams on the cpu play a little wow and go to work. Now im home loaded up and i have messed up pics and a black screen for chrome (FF works fine) so i think reload the gpu drivers and all will be good. Pictures are back but i have a black screen for chrome, attempted a reinstall but no joy. Any one had a similar issue? Is there a way to reinstall the driver on boot or scheduled?

Next up will be an upgraded gpu with this one being put to the next slot for HTPC use. Ive been looking at the 2080 super and im aware you need to dump the vbios for VMs but is there any cards to look out for or avoid?

8 hours ago, gruffdris said:

Pictures are back but i have a black screen for chrome, attempted a reinstall but no joy. Any one had a similar issue?

I've seen this at work, customer's computer (native Windows install - not a VM).  It's case of bad video drivers, and Chrome has hardware acceleration turned on.  You might even notice some of Windows boxes, some of the buttons might have X through them. 

I would try going into Device Manager, uninstall the Graphics Driver (delete driver files check-box) then re-install drivers; should only have to do it once, if you find you need to do it multiple times I'd guess some bad hardware or drivers.