FreeBSD 11.3+ - no network interface after upgrade

35 minutes ago, ChewbaccaBG said:

For some reason the installer freezes on "USB tablet" and never shows the install menu.

FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE 64 bit

Opnsense is based on FreeBSD but could well be an older version that "runs" at the moment. Unfortunately, I need 12.1 :)

Same.

I've tried just about everything I can think of. I also suspect Opensense is a little behind. 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>cylon21</name>
  <uuid>61e93815-f3cf-2366-1cdf-2244fa919be6</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="FreeBSD" icon="freebsd.png" os="freebsd"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-4.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/61e93815-f3cf-2366-1cdf-2244fa919be6_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/cylon21/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'/>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:cd:10:7f'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

63889EDC-6596-4573-8A24-8EDB68BC69F1.thumb.jpeg.faab327310a0f1970df0e787ccfb6a80.jpeg

Edited by WashingtonMatt
1 hour ago, Ioannis said:

i440fx-4.1 with SeaBIOS

I should also mention I had the same exact experience trying to install pfsense too (sorry, I don't know about freebsd version numbers)

That's obviously important ... we already know in the topic that versions prior to 11.3 can work with unRAID (they are already End of Life).

23 hours ago, ChewbaccaBG said:

That's obviously important ... we already know in the topic that versions prior to 11.3 can work with unRAID (they are already End of Life).

Obviously.

I 'm just saying that both OSes didn't present any network interfaces, in my case, when using Q35 machines while they did present them with the i440fx.

HTH

5 minutes ago, jonp said:

It's good to know that this is seen as a driver but within freebsd though. I think we can safely hold off further efforts on this for now since a fix is forthcoming from freebsd.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

A fix is probably coming from FreeBSD, but we won't see it in an installable ISO anytime soon, meaning installing FreeBSD would be kind of impossible.

Any chance of getting an updated kernel @ the next unRAID-RC ?

We ran into other problems that last time we updated the kernel. I will do an internal test to see if this even makes a difference but likely we will be waiting for a fix from FreeBSD. In the short term, they believe i440fx works ok. I'll test today to verify.

Jon, 

As posted earlier, i440fx does not work, it hangs when booting to the installer iso. From all the other reading I've done, I'm under the impression that it should work. I suspect that issue is unrelated, and may be specific to unRAID.
There are a few other things I will try. Most notably a different NIC driver instead of VirtIO.

Been trying to get FreeBSD working in a VM with various configs/methods, but I'm failing to do so successfully.  I'm wondering if Proxmox downgraded their kernel or quirked either it or QEMU to absolve themselves from this.  In addition, are you sure on Proxmox the VM is loading via OVMF as opposed to a legacy BIOS?  That might be another thing for us to try.  In the end, I'm not sure if we're going to be able to do anything in the short term to resolve this.

8 hours ago, jonp said:

Been trying to get FreeBSD working in a VM with various configs/methods, but I'm failing to do so successfully.  I'm wondering if Proxmox downgraded their kernel or quirked either it or QEMU to absolve themselves from this.  In addition, are you sure on Proxmox the VM is loading via OVMF as opposed to a legacy BIOS?  That might be another thing for us to try.  In the end, I'm not sure if we're going to be able to do anything in the short term to resolve this.

I've pasted a VM config on the 1st page, it's OVMF. As for the changes - PVE is open source, I suppose it wouldn't be hard to search for any kernel/qemu changes...

https://git.proxmox.com/

Edited by ChewbaccaBG

Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to know what I'm looking for and the dev team is deep in the middle of other projects right now.  I hate to say it, but I think we're going to be left with waiting for an official fix from FreeBSD.  It really doesn't make sense for us to stop all other efforts and focus on a bugfix here when the FreeBSD devs themselves have already noted the issues with the driver in their OS and are working on a fix.

If ProxMox really figured out a work around, then it should work on Unraid as well, but they don't use libvirt which makes recreating what they are doing on Unraid much more difficult.  I may be able to make more efforts in trying to get a build working here with some trial and error, but what I can't do is disrupt the devs to focus on analyzing ProxMox git repo to fix an issue that is already being fixed by FreeBSD upstream.

@jonp please let your dev team know about the issue. If they can figure out why PVE doesn't have the same problem as unRAID, it'd be great.

I doubt we'll see any official action from the FreeBSD devs on this (at least anytime soon). Some of us really need FreeBSD working in order to do our jobs. I'm currently running a Trial unRAID and I have to decide whether or not to buy. If I can't do my job I won't have an incentive to get unRAID... and I really like it.