FreeBSD 11.3+ - no network interface after upgrade

11 minutes ago, BRiT said:

And you can't use a version of FreeBSD that worked before?

Regretfully - no. It's end of life, our production servers have already moved on 12.1. You can temporarily "get away with it" if you already had a VM running with everything installed, but now since EOL it's a pain in the *** to install anything (especially on a freshly installed VM). There's a "compat" port you can install on the newer servers that can use software compiled on an older version. But that is - if you've had a VM to work with. Right now I can install 11.2 but most of the ports I have to install won't install due to dependencies. If you know how the ports tree works on FreeBSD you'll understand.

Edited by ChewbaccaBG

That just means you wont get updates, but depending on what you need to do a job, it still might be suitable, like if you only need an environment to write scripts that would be enough. But being likely large changes from 11.3 to 12.1 I can see that not being enough for production level. Ah yeah, might be nearly impossible to install over versions if they don't have the old media available anymore.

Edited by BRiT
6 minutes ago, BRiT said:

That just means you wont get updates, but depending on what you need to do a job, it still might be suitable, like if you only need an environment to write scripts that would be enough. But being likely large changes from 11.3 to 12.1 I can see that not being enough for production level.

Let me guess - you've never used FreeBSD, or at least not past it's EOL. When you do - you'll understand why this is important.

It's pretty painless, and of course not vetted by anyone at this point.

- Download the 12.1 DVD ISO

- SATA disk

- Be sure to install SRC

- Apply patch per instructions

- Comment out NETMAP from kernel

- Build/Install custom kernel

- Done

And yes it's going to seriously suck to get a new VM built back to how i had it on 11.2 :(

Edit: I should add that I used USB flash drive to copy patch to VM

Edited by WashingtonMatt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, WashingtonMatt said:

- SATA disk

- Be sure to install SRC

- Done

And yes it's going to seriously suck to get a new VM built back to how i had it on 11.2 :(

Thank you man, I'll try this as soon as I get home.

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

And I hope I never need to. 😝

If your job needs it, you'll have to :) btw bsd not so evil :) There's a reason when performance is needed - freebsd is used, especially in networking. If you take the time - you'll see freebsd network stack being ported on god knows how many projects.

Edited by ChewbaccaBG

Meh, not to start a war of the OSes, but I don't think FreeBSD's major calling card is networking performance.  Here's a study from 2019 showing FreeBSD holding its own, but not dominating Linux in any capacity:  https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-linux-10gbe&num=4

And unless I'm mistaken, even Cisco UCS systems that support 40GBe+ connectivity don't even support FreeBSD.

The main benefit for FreeBSD over Linux is it's licensing model.  CDDL allows developers to advance the platform without having to contribute any improvements to the code base back to the FreeBSD maintainers (if they don't want to).  This is why so many companies make hardware appliances that use FreeBSD for their base OS (they can fine tune their product for maximum performance and then charge a premium for their efforts without allowing someone to just rip off their code that they spent time creating).  CDDL also allows for compatibility with Oracle's licensing on ZFS, which is why Oracle has never sued FreeNAS (and frankly I bet that was the deciding factor that led FreeNAS to use FreeBSD in the first place).

Don't let any of this come across as me negating your reasons for needing FreeBSD though.  A job's a job and if you need it for your job, well, then you need it.  That said, I can't imagine the FreeBSD developers can really afford to let this issue linger.  It's not like Linux KVM is a small platform anymore and I have to imagine the vast majority of FreeBSD users are using it in a VM (not bare metal).  I could be wrong.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, jonp said:

Meh, not to start a war of the OSes, but I don't think FreeBSD's major calling card is networking performance.  Here's a study from 2019 showing FreeBSD holding its own, but not dominating Linux in any capacity:  https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-linux-10gbe&num=4

And unless I'm mistaken, even Cisco UCS systems that support 40GBe+ connectivity don't even support FreeBSD.

The main benefit for FreeBSD over Linux is it's licensing model.  CDDL allows developers to advance the platform without having to contribute any improvements to the code base back to the FreeBSD maintainers (if they don't want to).  This is why so many companies make hardware appliances that use FreeBSD for their base OS (they can fine tune their product for maximum performance and then charge a premium for their efforts without allowing someone to just rip off their code that they spent time creating).  CDDL also allows for compatibility with Oracle's licensing on ZFS, which is why Oracle has never sued FreeNAS (and frankly I bet that was the deciding factor that led FreeNAS to use FreeBSD in the first place).

Don't let any of this come across as me negating your reasons for needing FreeBSD though.  A job's a job and if you need it for your job, well, then you need it.  That said, I can't imagine the FreeBSD developers can really afford to let this issue linger.  It's not like Linux KVM is a small platform anymore and I have to imagine the vast majority of FreeBSD users are using it in a VM (not bare metal).  I could be wrong.

I won't argue with you, I just wish to see unRAID being able to handle all the major OSes @ VM, and not just because I need FreeBSD :) As for the FreeBSD use, I think most of its use is on bare-metal, not VM.

Edited by ChewbaccaBG
15 minutes ago, ChewbaccaBG said:

I won't argue with you, I just wish to see unRAID being able to handle all the major OSes @ VM, and not just because I need FreeBSD :) As for the FreeBSD use, I think most of its use is on bare-metal, not VM.

As do we!!  We definitely want folks to be able to run any application they want, and from any OS, but the ability to support that is limited when it comes to utilizing the most optimal virtual interfaces for storage and network (VirtIO).  If you can switch from VirtIO to using an emulated controller (requires XML edits today), that should continue to work (also with an emulated CPU instead of host-passthrough).  But using emulated interfaces like that will definitely showcase lower performance than if using their VirtIO counterparts.  The problem is that in order to use VirtIO, someone has to build and maintain drivers for it on every guest OS that you wish to use it with.  Windows has VirtIO drivers even (maintained by folks on the Fedora project).  Not sure who is actively maintaining the FreeBSD VirtIO drivers, but I can venture a guess that if this is true:

32 minutes ago, ChewbaccaBG said:

FreeBSD use, I think most of its use is on bare-metal, not VM.

Then maybe they don't bother maintaining the drivers at all.  Maybe it's a community project that needs some TLC.  We as a company certainly can't be responsible for maintaining support within platforms outside of our own.  I'm sure you can appreciate that.  I would argue as well that while convenient to run as a VM, maybe your work needs to give you some physical servers to run FreeBSD on directly if that's part of your job.

5 minutes ago, jonp said:

Does ProxMox have a GUI? If so, can you show me the screen(s) for your configured FreeBSD VM? Can you post those details here?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It has a gui the same way unRAID has a gui. I did show you a config of a FreeBSD VM running on pve. You can just install PVE somewhere and run a VM and test this yourself. I can take you through the process but I can tell you right now - I ran a FreeBSD VM from the first try, from the first time I used PVE. Just select Q35, everything else is.... well.. self-explanatory.

Edited by ChewbaccaBG
It has a guy the same way unRAID has a gui. I did show you a config of a FreeBSD VM running on pve. You can just install PVE somewhere and run a VM and test this yourself. I can take you through the process but I can tell you right now - I ran a FreeBSD VM from the first try, from the first time I used PVE. Just select Q35, everything else is.... well.. self-explanatory.
It's be a lot easier if you could just show me screenshots of the UI specific to network, CPU, and storage. I totally trust you have it working, I just want to see how the front end is configured and the qemu command line isn't quite good enough for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Here's how I install FreeBSD on PVE:

step1.thumb.png.36c98c7c3d02e106e702cf853f9f95c2.pngstep2.png.05c0721dbf5a7383a1ac67b0e8e3f9ab.pngstep3.png.1df327541ec072fa5f33e95afa204cab.pngstep4.png.fb6f0af2120630dff8bae303034833d0.pngstep5.png.922652285ae75dd8ff32cf3f76809dd5.pngstep6.png.dfd3814b5758c23cdf6965f539c7195c.pngstep7.png.cc4ab67278a0407739d496ce19838548.png

@jonp It finds the VirtIO disk, finds the VirtIO network.

Not much else I can say about this... It just works.

And here's the config of the VM I just installed:

root@vh1:~# cat /etc/pve/nodes/vh2/qemu-server/107.conf
bios: ovmf
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
cpu: host
efidisk0: zfspool_1:vm-107-disk-0,size=1M
ide2: local:iso/FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso,media=cdrom
machine: q35
memory: 1024
name: TESTBSD
net0: virtio=52:1E:B0:FC:4E:14,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: other
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=14e06ec5-9453-459c-89d2-ef36ae1c026e
sockets: 1
virtio0: local:107/vm-107-disk-0.raw,iothread=1,size=32G
vmgenid: 5300f588-c646-4c62-9913-a062563b7eae
root@vh1:~#

(/etc/pve is a cluster filesystem so can be accessed from either node)

Also the running process:

root@vh2:~# ps fax |grep 107 |grep "kvm"
22649 ?        Sl     0:21 /usr/bin/kvm -id 107 -name TESTBSD -chardev socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/107.qmp,server,nowait -mon chardev=qmp,mode=control -chardev socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5 -mon chardev=qmp-event,mode=control -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/107.pid -daemonize -smbios type=1,uuid=14e06ec5-9453-459c-89d2-ef36ae1c026e -drive if=pflash,unit=0,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware//OVMF_CODE.fd -drive if=pflash,unit=1,format=raw,id=drive-efidisk0,file=/dev/zvol/zfspool_1/vm-107-disk-0 -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,maxcpus=4 -nodefaults -boot menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/107.vnc,password -cpu host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi -m 1024 -object iothread,id=iothread-virtio0 -device vmgenid,guid=5300f588-c646-4c62-9913-a062563b7eae -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35-4.0.cfg -device usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=1 -device VGA,id=vga,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 -iscsi initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:8478cb83180 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-0.raw,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,iothread=iothread-virtio0,bootindex=100 -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap107i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on -device virtio-net-pci,mac=52:1E:B0:FC:4E:14,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300 -machine type=q35+pve1
root@vh2:~#

Here's the detected virtio devices:

virtio_vm.png.b1227787f5e006483f8fe58a1e3cc5c2.png

Feel free to reproduce.

Edited by ChewbaccaBG
19 hours ago, WashingtonMatt said:

- SATA disk

- Be sure to install SRC

- Done

Q35 4.2 OVMF - managed to install with a GPU attached.

Patched & compiled the kernel with device netmap disabled, rebooted - still no network through br0 or virbr0 - no network device detected at all.

Compiling with the 2nd patch added (netmap still disabled) - no network.

Compiling with netmap enabled + both patches -> compiled fine, still no vmbr0 / br0 networking devices detected.

Edited by ChewbaccaBG

34 minutes ago, WashingtonMatt said:

Did you configure DHCP, or set up IP address? What's output of ifconfig and pciconf -lv ?

During the install - it doesn't detect the network interface, so I continue the install without it.

Compiled kernel with 2 patches - rebooted - no network (I'm not passing PCIe NICs, I'm trying to get the br0/vmbr0 working).

Here's the output of pciconf -lv:

617311303_ImagefromiOS(1).thumb.jpg.d1235d97017459a3612f834ce74c4c4c.jpg1280745607_ImagefromiOS(2).thumb.jpg.7573cd3299efa7831175edcb8a0879a0.jpg

1729570802_ImagefromiOS(3).thumb.jpg.422ee81ccee7cdc4334d14131231d1a7.jpg

Edited by ChewbaccaBG

I have not tried the second patch, so my kernel is without NETMAP. Since networking is not configured during setup, you do have to manually set it up after the custom kernel is installed.

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:70:6f:f4'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
vtpcim0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x020000 card=0x11001af4 chip=0x10411af4 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Red Hat, Inc.'
    device     = 'Virtio network device'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=680003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        groups: lo
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
vtnet0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=4c07bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 52:54:00:70:6f:f4
        inet 192.168.0.12 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

9 minutes ago, WashingtonMatt said:

I have not tried the second patch, so my kernel is without NETMAP. Since networking is not configured during setup, you do have to manually set it up after the custom kernel is installed.

<source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
    </interface>

vtpcim0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x020000 card=0x11001af4 chip=0x10411af4 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Red Hat, Inc.'
    device     = 'Virtio network device'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=680003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        groups: lo
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
vtnet0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=4c07bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 52:54:00:70:6f:f4
        inet 192.168.0.12 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

There was already the same <interface> in the config, I've added the "alias" from your config - still no network adapter.

Are you doing this on a 12.1-RELEASE, or on other? When installing it won't see the virtio network adapter even if I select configure ipv4 and configure dhcp - it says "no network adapter".

Here's the current config:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' id='4'>
  <name>FreeBSD 12.1 DEV</name>
  <uuid>adece69a-e678-9280-0e59-988c2d78d910</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="FreeBSD" icon="freebsd.png" os="freebsd"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>16</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='30'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='7'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='31'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='8'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='32'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='9'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='33'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='10'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='9' cpuset='34'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='10' cpuset='11'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='11' cpuset='35'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='12' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='13' cpuset='36'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='14' cpuset='13'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='15' cpuset='37'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/adece69a-e678-9280-0e59-988c2d78d910_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='16' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/FreeBSD 12.1 DEV/vdisk1.img' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='qemu-xhci' ports='15'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x8'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x9'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0xa'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0xb'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='5' port='0xc'/>
      <alias name='pci.5'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x4'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <source dir='/mnt/user/isos'/>
      <target dir='isos'/>
      <alias name='fs0'/>
    </filesystem>
      <mac address='52:54:00:33:19:b1'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/1'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-4-FreeBSD 12.1 DEV/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x48' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <rom file='/boot/vBIOS/ASUS-ROG-STRIX-nVidia-GTX1050Ti-GP107-KVM.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x1a2c'/>
        <product id='0x2d23'/>
        <address bus='1' device='2'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x8564'/>
        <product id='0x1000'/>
        <address bus='3' device='5'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev2'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
</domain>

Edited by ChewbaccaBG
8 minutes ago, ChewbaccaBG said:

There was already the same <interface> in the config, I've added the "alias" from your config - still no network adapter.

I believe the alias was added when I added a second e1000 interface for troubleshooting. It should work. At this point all I can recommend is start over and apply first patch and kernel without Netmap.

<source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
    </interface>
      <mac address='52:54:00:7e:36:f5'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet5'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <alias name='net1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

Edited by WashingtonMatt
1 minute ago, WashingtonMatt said:

I believe the alias was added when I added a second e1000 interface for troubleshooting. It should work. At this point all I can recommend is start over and apply first patch and kernel without Netmap.

That's how I started. No interface detected - install complete -> usb flash copied the patch, ran the commands exactly -> patched -> compiled -> reboot -> no networking.

Are you sure you are doing this on 12.1-RELEASE, and not on 12.0 or something else ?

5 minutes ago, ChewbaccaBG said:

That's how I started. No interface detected - install complete -> usb flash copied the patch, ran the commands exactly -> patched -> compiled -> reboot -> no networking.

Are you sure you are doing this on 12.1-RELEASE, and not on 12.0 or something else ?

After the reboot, you have to configure DHCP

uname -a
FreeBSD cylon12 12.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE GENERIC  amd64