Buying new key

Hi guys and gals

I'm sitting here with my first Unraid server which only has a "basic key" and i am about to change the server to new components, but my question is this:

Can i buy a new "Pro key" and use this for my current version of unraid and then use the "basic key" for another USB for another server? (so not upgrading the key but replace the one on the usb)

Or would this go as an server upgrade and then block the current "basic key" that i have now?

7 minutes ago, las_killar said:

Can i buy a new "Pro key" and use this for my current version of unraid and then use the "basic key" for another USB for another server?

The easiest thing to do is purchase the Pro key and license it to a new USB flash drive.  Then you can just copy over the /config folder from the current flash drive and your current server will boot with its current configuration but with a Pro license.  You can then expand the array with more drives, swap out the motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. for new components if you wish.  Hardware changes such as these do not impact the license.

You could then use your current USB flash drive with the Basic license for any server with up to six storage devices.  Just do a new config.

• Thanks 2

The key is tied to the GUID of the flash drive so you cannot do quite what you describe.

what you COULD do is buy the Pro key for a different USB drive and then transfer your current configuration over by copying the config folder.    You would then have the original USB with its existing Basic key available for use on the other server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, i had thought about doing what both of you describe and i can hear that it is the way to go :)
I was just curious if it really had to be done that way or if you could just install the new key and the old key would still be useable :)

But i give you guys my biggest thanks for this just helped alot :D

2 minutes ago, las_killar said:

I was just curious if it really had to be done that way or if you could just install the new key and the old key would still be useable :)

The license key, as explained by Itimpi, is tied to the GUID of the flash drive.  Installing a new key and licensing that to the existing flash drive basically invalidates the old key for the same flash drive and you would have to work with Limetech to get all of that sorted  It would be much more convoluted to deal with the process of getting a new key registered for the existing drive and then getting the old key registered to a new flash drive than to do what we have explained.

The instructions @Hoopster gave will wind up with 2 keys on the flash drive (basic.key and pro.key)  While this isn't an immediate problem (unRaid will figure out which one matches the flash drive), Fix Common Problems will bitch and complain about it.

The reason is that should that flash drive fail, and you restore from your backup onto a new replacement flash drive, the registration server won't know which of the 2 keys that are present on it is the one that is valid.   Not sure of what the system does in that situation.  Best to delete the key your not using on that stick from it.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

The instructions @Hoopster gave will wind up with 2 keys on the flash drive (basic.key and pro.key)

@las_killar Yes, copying the /config folder from the current flash drive to a new one will also copy the basic key onto the new flash drive.  It should be deleted as @Squid mentioned to avoid issues with the Fix Common Problems plugin or anything else that may not know what to do with two different keys.