CPU and MB Combo Question (X10SLL-F & E3-1285L v4)

craigr

I'm trying to figure out if the Intel® Xeon E3-1285L v4 processor will work in my Supermicro X10SLL-F main board.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SLL-F

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88043/intel-xeon-processor-e3-1285l-v4-6m-cache-3-40-ghz.html

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-e3-1200v4-vol-1-datasheet.pdf (see pages 26-27)

From the Supermicro specifications it would appear that the answer would be yes.  However, ark.intel specifies "PCI Express Configurations 1x16" for the E3-1285L v4 processor.  Furthermore, the motherboard has 2 PCI-E 3.0 x8 slots and 1 PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8 slot).  I wrote Supermicro and asked if the CPU would be supported and this is what they said:

ark.intel

Peripherals

Max number of PCIe lanes 16

PCI Express revision 3.0

PCIe configurations 1x16

Scalability 1S Only

According to MB SPEC Page:

1. Discontinued SKU (EOL). Please contact sales-rep for replacement SKUs.

2. the board can support:

Single socket H3 (LGA 1150) supports
Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v3/v4, 4th gen.
Core i3, Pentium, Celeron processors  

E3-1285L V4 is within this family which is supported.

3. PCIe Slots:

CPU controls two slots with x8 and x8 PCI lanes.

PCH controls one slot.

Regards,
TX.  

TX says the answer is, "E3-1285L V4 is within this family which is supported."  And from TX's cryptic response it seems that the PCH controls the PCI-E 2.0 x4 slot.  Which then leaves 16x available for the E3-1285L V4 to control.

So what I don't understand is can the E3-1285L v4's "PCI Express Configurations 1x16" be used for "2 PCI-E 3.0 x8 slots?"  IE can one 1x16 lane CPU be used for 2x8 lane PCIe slots?

I hope this makes sense because I have no idea if it will work or not and I don't want to buy a $255 CPU on eBay from China that will not allow all of my PCIe slots to functions as I need both 8x slots for my configuration. 

Thanks for any help!

craigr

Edited by craigr

For reference ark specifies that for my current E3-1275L v3 processors:

Scalability 1S Only

PCI Express Revision 3.0

PCI Express Configurations 1x16, 2x8, 1x8/2x4

Max # of PCI Express Lanes 16

Note that support is specifically stated for 1x16 or 2x8, and not just 1x16 for the "PCI Express Configurations."

Thanks again and kind regards,

craigr

Edited by craigr
  • 3 weeks later...