X470D4U/3900X "Ryzen" to the top of the list

49 minutes ago, Alexstrasza said:

I'll be really interested to learn your results. My VM is primarily for gaming, but I also have it mining in the background as well. I'm not seeing any slow speeds, but to be fair I don't have a non-VM version to compare it to.

Unfortunately not binding it to VFIO at start causes virtman to hang up and ultimately the entire server to crash :( binding to VFIO makes the VM start up but no image is output.

I can happily tell you though, that mining performance has not suffered a single mh/s when mining eth against bare metal mining!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fresh said:

Unfortunately not binding it to VFIO at start causes virtman to hang up and ultimately the entire server to crash :( binding to VFIO makes the VM start up but no image is output.

I can happily tell you though, that mining performance has not suffered a single mh/s when mining eth against bare metal mining!

It's very strange that no image is output yet the whole VM still works, including VM use. I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped on this one. The only thing I can think of is perhaps you've left the VNC screen enabled, and the VM is setup to not output to the GPU screen?

40 minutes ago, Alexstrasza said:

It's very strange that no image is output yet the whole VM still works, including VM use. I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped on this one. The only thing I can think of is perhaps you've left the VNC screen enabled, and the VM is setup to not output to the GPU screen?

Turned out to be DisplayPort and it's finicky handling.. Used HDMI instead and works well!

• 1 month later...

Which Ryzen 3000 bug were you talking about?

I've recently gone from a 2600 to 3900x and neither of my graphics card show up. When I take either one out the other will show up but can't get both to show at the same time. Works fine with the 2600 though.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

On 6/6/2021 at 6:38 AM, k0vw said:

Which Ryzen 3000 bug were you talking about?

There was a bug with older versions of QEMU where the host-passthrough CPU mode would not work. This is fixed in later versions of UnRaid.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:38 AM, k0vw said:

I've recently gone from a 2600 to 3900x and neither of my graphics card show up. When I take either one out the other will show up but can't get both to show at the same time. Works fine with the 2600 though.

Any thoughts?

There's this really understated warning in the motherboard manual which has caught me out before and might be your problem too:

image.thumb.png.565d102f29a0f5553a207b08cbc59315.png

The setting isn't called exactly the same thing as the manual says either (so that's helpful), but you need to manually switch the slots into 2x8 mode for either to work properly with two GPUs installed on a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.

Edited by Alexstrasza
On 6/8/2021 at 5:50 AM, Alexstrasza said:

There was a bug with older versions of QEMU where the host-passthrough CPU mode would not work. This is fixed in later versions of UnRaid.

There's this really understated warning in the motherboard manual which has caught me out before and might be your problem too:

image.thumb.png.565d102f29a0f5553a207b08cbc59315.png

The setting isn't called exactly the same thing as the manual says either (so that's helpful), but you need to manually switch the slots into 2x8 mode for either to work properly with two GPUs installed on a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.

Perfect! That sorted my GPU issue but still having an issue with my USB controller passthrough now. More searching...