Problems after migrating data from NAS

Hey guys! So I think I've had my first noob blender using unraid. To start off, I had a NAS with 12TB of data that i moved over the network using Krusader. I created a share called "synology" and migrated all of my data over there. I set that share to only use disk 1 and 2. At the time, I had 2x 8TB data disks in my array, i put off creating a parity drive and cache drives until everything was over. Got all the data over, and started preclearing and adding my 4TB disks from the NAS. As I was going for 2 disk parity, i transferred my data from 1 of the 8TB data disks over to 2 of the 4TB disks using unbalance and scatter. All good i thought and added that drive as the 2nd parity disk. Now I realize that alot of files are missing, movies only have folder and not the file in it etc. And with both previous and new shares I can only choose to use disk 1 and 2 although I have a total of 5 data disks in the array at this moment (1x 8TB and 4x 4TB). Under shares i have now both user shares and disk shares. How do I solve this? Have I broken the unraid config? Running on 6.6.7 since I plan to use Plex server and don't want my database to get corrupted. I should add that i think the movies are on disk 3, as I can seem to find them when using folder view from the gui. But the share is not using disk 3, and I can't seem to find a way to tell unraid to use anything other than disk 1 and 2. This applies when trying to create a new share aswell. What do I do? 

Edited by Anstilion
47 minutes ago, Anstilion said:

I can't seem to find a way to tell unraid to use anything other than disk 1 and 2. This applies when trying to create a new share aswell

The first problem I see is that in Settings --> Global Share Settings, you have included disks 1 and 2 and excluded disk 3.  This means that ONLY disk 1 and 2 will ever be available to any user shares.  Since Disk 3 is excluded, it will NEVER be available for use by any user share.   If you add a disk 4, 5, 6 etc.  No shares will ever see them either because you have included only 1 and 2. 

You really ought to set Include to All and Exclude to None and make your disk inclusion/exclusion rules by user share.

By the way, seeing both User shares and Disk shares in the Shares tab is normal.  You can chose to not export disk shares so they are not visible on the network, if you wish.  This is recommended.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much! 😊 I had forgotten about global settings, lol. Will make the necessary settings once the parity has cleared. But that spawns another question; If I fix the settings as to your recommendation, will my content problem inside the folders be fixed? I think it only applies to the movies folder inside the synology share as that was the only one unbalance/scatter needed to move to disk 3 due to space limitations. Or do I need to do some sort of manual operation to fix it? 

30 minutes ago, Anstilion said:

If I fix the settings as to your recommendation, will my content problem inside the folders be fixed?

What @jonathanm said. 

By the way, you usually do not need or want to explicitly include and exclude disks in share settings. 

Let's say you have 6 data disks.  You have included All and excluded None globally.

If you want a share to include all disks except disk 4, all you need to do is exclude disk 4.  You do not need to explicitly include 1-3 and 5-6.

Conversely, If you want a share to only use disk 3 and disk 5, you just need to include those disks in the share settings.  You do not have to also exclude 1, 2, 4 and 6.

@Anstilion EDIT:  One more addition to this.  If you explicitly include AND exclude disks in share settings,  you run into problems when you add new disks to the array.  They won't automatically be included (if that is what you want) or excluded (if that is what you want) in the share.  You would have to remember to go into your share settings and modify include/exclude rules every time you added a disk to the array.  For this reason, it is best to just include OR exclude as needed.  This way new disks in the array are automatically included or excluded, depending on which rule you have set.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, did not know that. The reason I did it was that I had a total of 3 x 8TB disks in the array, with one designated for parity before i started the data migration from the NAS. Did not want data on more than two drives. In hindsight I could have just left it as an unassigned device. Currently educating myself using Spaceinvader One's videos 😊