Plex optimazation

Hi gents,

I have been running unraid and plex for years without any problems.

I have five remote users connected to plex. The streams varies from 4gb mkv to 10gb files. There are times where there is only one remote user connected, the player returns a "not enough CPU power" even if i lower the bandwidth and quality to lowest settings. One of the times that happened i connected to unraid through VPN to check the CPU utilization, all cores where almost between 1-5%. I haven't assigned any specific cores to plex docker, is that a problem? Could it be that plex maybe used to much core 0? 

I am by fare a plex guru, so it has been installed/setup and forgotten. Even if i stream local, simultaneously with one online user, i get in trouble and my end begins to suffer. I need some help to setup plex, so that local plays always gets the best quality, and reduces the online user... is this possible?

I am running the linuxserver version of plex and have been doing that for years.

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, perhansen said:

Hi gents,

I have been running unraid and plex for years without any problems.

I have five remote users connected to plex. The streams varies from 4gb mkv to 10gb files. There are times where there is only one remote user connected, the player returns a "not enough CPU power" even if i lower the bandwidth and quality to lowest settings. One of the times that happened i connected to unraid through VPN to check the CPU utilization, all cores where almost between 1-5%. I haven't assigned any specific cores to plex docker, is that a problem? Could it be that plex maybe used to much core 0? 

I am by fare a plex guru, so it has been installed/setup and forgotten. Even if i stream local, simultaneously with one online user, i get in trouble and my end begins to suffer. I need some help to setup plex, so that local plays always gets the best quality, and reduces the online user... is this possible?

I am running the linuxserver version of plex and have been doing that for years.

Thanks in advance.

Go to the Plex-Docker > Edit > CPU-Pinning and play around giving Plex various CPU-Cores and see what happens.

And do also with the VM(s) - give dedicated cores to your VMs.

Your CPU is more then strong enough...

Edited by Zonediver
Go to the Plex-Docker > Edit > CPU-Pinning and play around giving Plex various CPU-Cores and see what happens.
And do also with the VM(s) - give dedicated cores to your VMs.
Your CPU is more then strong enough...

For the wm’s i have been given dedicated cores, but i thought it didn’t matter for dockers. Thanks, I will try and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option. The more you try to reduce quality the more cpu you will be using.  So if you have 1080p movies and are forcing them down to 480p for remote users you will be using more cpu then just streaming out 1080p.  First almost all hardware supports direct streams of at least common video maybe not audio. So you might use less CPU telling your users to direct stream. Same with your local stuff make sure its direct playing so the server is not touching the audio/video.

34 minutes ago, halfelite said:

Another option. The more you try to reduce quality the more cpu you will be using.  So if you have 1080p movies and are forcing them down to 480p for remote users you will be using more cpu then just streaming out 1080p.  First almost all hardware supports direct streams of at least common video maybe not audio. So you might use less CPU telling your users to direct stream. Same with your local stuff make sure its direct playing so the server is not touching the audio/video.

Only partially true.

• Direct Stream certainly uses less CPU.
  • Difference in load for downscaling from 1080p to 720p vs 480p (or even some random resolutions) is rather negligible (except perhaps if you have unusually old hardware and/or stream to an unusually high number of simultaneous clients).