Variety of problems

SJOWG

Full disclosure: I'm a complete noob who can barely spell Linux. I'm much more a hardware guy.

I'm having a variety of problems with my unRaid, running version 6.7.2. Specifically:

• Mover is always running. I mean, ALWAYS. I can shut it down, but some hours later it's running again. It never seems to complete. I've tried to install Mover Tuner, but when I attempt to do so from the GUI, all I get is a blank popup window.
  • I can't upgrade any of my plugins using the GUI. When I try, I get a blank popup window. But I get messages on the GUI telling me there are upgrades available.
  • I can't do a clean shutdown or restart. When I attempt to do either from the GUI, the console displays the right messages about shutting down now, but it never actually shuts down or restarts.
  • Fix Common Problems gets to 52% and then stays there. I've given up after waiting 8 hours to complete.
  • Diagnostics shows the nice little animated display and says "this will take a few minutes." 12 hours later, it still shows the same thing.

I'm not running any VMs. I only have three Docker apps, and two of those are stopped. The Dashboard shows everything as green, and the NAS is operating just fine from a client perspective--no observed errors or problems. But I can't get diagnostics data, since that never completes, nor can I use Fix Common Problems since that doesn't complete either (BTW, I ran it when I first put this beast together, and it did run then and showed no problems).

I'm at a complete loss here, and would appreciate any recommendations for next steps. I've attached the syslog.

syslog

Did you try from the command line (shell) interface?

diagnostics

It should look something like this, taking a couple minutes:

root@TOWER:~# diagnostics
Starting diagnostics collection...
done.
ZIP file '/boot/logs/tower-diagnostics-20191101-1751.zip' created.
root@TOWER:~#

Just now, itimpi said:

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode?     That will stop any plugins being loaded in case one of them is interfering with the fire 

unraid OS.

I've been reluctant to do that, since I can't do a clean reboot or shutdown. But if that's the best approach, that's what I'll do.

49 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Did you try from the command line (shell) interface?

diagnostics

It should look something like this, taking a couple minutes:

root@TOWER:~# diagnostics
Starting diagnostics collection...
done.
ZIP file '/boot/logs/tower-diagnostics-20191101-1751.zip' created.
root@TOWER:~#

Well, so far it's more than 45 minutes, and the console still says "Starting diagnostics collection..."

Edited by SJOWG
Updated data

Well, I gave up and rebooted to safe mode (had to force a shutdown with the power button; neither GUI nor console would work for that). I was then able to run diagnostics, but since I'd already rebooted, I don't know how useful those results would be.

After that, I rebooted out of safe mode, and now, everything seems to work. I can update plugins, run Fix Common Problems (which says that all is well), etc.

But I don't believe in miraculous solutions, and would like to prevent this from happening again, if possible. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where I go from here.

It's hitting a kernel bug:

Oct 18 03:30:02 Lurch kernel: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000080
Oct 18 03:30:02 Lurch kernel: PGD 8000000817b97067 P4D 8000000817b97067 PUD 81f0b8067 PMD 0 
Oct 18 03:30:02 Lurch kernel: Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP PTI

and it's all downhill from there. I'd upgrade to Unraid 6.8.0-rc5.

Just now, John_M said:

It's hitting a kernel bug:

Oct 18 03:30:02 Lurch kernel: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000080
Oct 18 03:30:02 Lurch kernel: PGD 8000000817b97067 P4D 8000000817b97067 PUD 81f0b8067 PMD 0 
Oct 18 03:30:02 Lurch kernel: Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP PTI

and it's all downhill from there. I'd upgrade to Unraid 6.8.0-rc5.

THANK YOU! I shall do so.