Windows VM freezes on GPU 5700XT passthrough

I have just today moved from the Radeon 280x to the Radeon RX 5700 XT videocard however this is having an issue I am not able to figure out.

Unraid starts fine and I have tried this both in legacy and UEFI bios mode. The GPU is the only one present in the system, there is no onboard GPU or 2nd CPU for unraid to use.

The VM is set to use Q-35 and OVMF.

The Graphics card ‘AMD Navi 10’ and the Soundcard ‘AMD Navi 10 HDMI Audio’ are both assigned to the VM to passthrough.

I have tried this with no vbios attached, one I dumped myself from this card and two I got from TechPowerUp.

- If I use no vbios attached, I have to “reset” the card via a script on Unraid before booting the VM. Only then I will get a screen.

- If I use the dumped bios from my own card, (with or without the reset) the VM boots but the screen does not work at all.

- If I use either vbios from TechPowerUp for this card, I can start the VM without a reset (also tried with a reset).

In all scenarios, the VM will boot Windows but after a little while it will hang at the Windows boot loading circle, the circle is no longer going around, its frozen. (See attached image)

The only way to boot windows is by going into Safe Mode, once I uninstalled the AMD drivers, I can boot into windows normally.

Once I install the AMD drivers, the VM crashes at 40% (where it initializes the drivers I believe) and when restarting the VM I get back at a stuck boot loading circle and have to do the “safe mode” again to uninstall the drivers.

Installing a new VM with a fresh install of Windows 10 seems to work fine up til the point I install the AMD drivers again, VM crashes at 40% of the driver installation and starting the VM results in the boot loading circle freeze.

I believe the problem is with the drivers but using an older version of the driver does not make a difference. 

Is there anyone who has run into this issue before?

172E5571-BC78-43AB-8679-55FF04E3A3F5.jpeg

Edited by colinator
  • 1 year later...