Is RX 580 really that bad for Plex

I had initially hoped to use my RX 580 to pass through to a VM in with Plex in Unraid for transcoding.   Is RX 580 really as bad at transcoding as people say?      If so, I might cut my losses and get a GTX 1660 TI or maybe an RTX 2060 depending on what sales they have a Microcenter.  

I plan to trans code one maybe two videos at one time.   Mostly from 4k to 1080p.  

I have an ASROCK 580M with 2700X.   I plan on upgrading to an R9 3900 or R9 3950 once the prices come done.

I think could get about $80 for the RX 580 on eBay, so it's not even worth selling.   I assume either way I would get a new card in a year or so.

If anyone has any suggestion if I should stick with RX 580 or cut my loss and get an NVIDIA card would be great.  Thanks!

David

Edited by davidst95
7 hours ago, testdasi said:

What would prevent you from just try it out and see if you are happy with it?

Different people have different tolerant levels to "bad".

Thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure out the GPU pass through settings.  I don't really know much about transcoding so I was just relying on the reviews and YouTube videos. 

17 hours ago, davidst95 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure out the GPU pass through settings.  I don't really know much about transcoding so I was just relying on the reviews and YouTube videos. 

Exactly. I always recommend people to try things out with their existing hardware first before thinking something else is better. For example, it's pretty easy for a Youtuber to pixel-peep and make a fair assessment that the quality is terrible. Yet, when viewed in totality on a 40" TV at a typical viewing distance, very few people have enough visual resolution to pixel peep.

• Like 1