Amazon WD 8TB Elements- $125

WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN

For those of you who need storage now, Amazon has (shuckable) WD 8 TB external HDDs on sale for $125 (about $5 below the other times it goes on sale). Also, it's Amazon, so shipping is fast and free with Prime.

Analysis: At $15.625/TB, this puts the 8TB at about the same value as the 10TB which occasionally goes on sale for $160 on Amazon and Best Buy. I would say you're better off getting a 10 TB if you can wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday when we should see at least these prices, but if you need storage now, this is a good deal.

-Torquewrench

3 hours ago, T0rqueWr3nch said:

WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN

For those of you who need storage now, Amazon has (shuckable) WD 8 TB external HDDs on sale for $125 (about $5 below the other times it goes on sale). Also, it's Amazon, so shipping is fast and free with Prime.

Analysis: At $15.625/TB, this puts the 8TB at about the same value as the 10TB which occasionally goes on sale for $160 on Amazon and Best Buy. I would say you're better off getting a 10 TB if you can wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday when we should see at least these prices, but if you need storage now, this is a good deal.

-Torquewrench

Smr?

nah. they're not shingle drives.

my understanding is, we won't see shingle drives for public sale for a while, due to the back end hardware/software needed to make them not totally suck.  so basically, shingle drives will only ship as "black box" type storage.

15 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Probably WD80EMAZ white label drives.  That seems to be what is showing up in Easystore and Elements enclosures lately.

That's what I got on my last round, which are still pretty good drives, rumored to be HGST Ultrastar essentially: 

Note that you will almost certainly have to tape over the 3.3V pin to use it in your unRAID rig: https://amzn.to/2Ncc2WR. I find a steady hand and a pair of tweezers helps to install the Kapton tape relatively easily.

Instructions here: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

Unless they change things on us, these are not SMR drives.

-Torquewrench