[Support] binhex - MinecraftServer

ok new special snapshot tagged version has been made available, this has the netty fix included (snapshot 22w24a), please do the following to use it:-

1. unraid webui/docker

2. left click edit minecraft container

3. edit 'repository' and append :snapshot-22w24a to the repository name

4. click apply to pull down tagged version

once 1.19.1 has been released then simply reverse the above to get back to latest.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/18/2022 at 1:28 AM, dabbler455 said:

I do the same with cloudflare DDNS, wasn't sure if there was a way to accomplish it using a cloudflare SSL cert. Sounds like it isn't supported by minecraft yet

[other forum post]

'Where did you see in the documentation for minecraft bedrock server that it supports ssl encryption via a certificate?'

[other forum post reply]

"I don't run bedrock, I run the java version of Minecraft. I don't see any documentation on it but normally that doesn't stopped skilled people from figuring out a way to make it work :D."

I see your question on both forum posts, and I think you are under the impression that you can add encryption to anything using an ssl cert. This is not the case. It is impossible to simply add encryption to a stream on one side of the connection and have it work.

When a client makes a connection it is expecting a certain type of response. If you alter that response to be an encrypted reply, then the client receiving this encrypted reply has no idea what to do with it. To resolve the issue you must patch both sides of the communication, so make a change to the server side to enable encryption and then on the client side make a change to allow for this new method of communication. In web browsers this change was done in 1994 by netscape, they created a client side browser that could communicate in HTTPS and a server side implementation was developed in 1995 for testing and never released until 1996 where they had improved upon the design (the dates might be a little fuzzy but something like that). Once both server and client side coding was done then https was functional between client and server.

To achieve the same thing you would have to do the exact same thing - encrypt the server side communication and then rewrite the client to be able to communicate in this new way/add support for the encryption method you chose. As the client app is released by a company (Microsoft essentially) they would have to add this into the client for you (you dont have access to the source code presumably).

Another alternative is to separate the server and encryption from the app and run it as a separate layer on top so have a server that encrypts anything it sees (with no understanding of what its looking at) and the client decrypts this and then passes that stream onto the app (with no understanding of the data). This is how a VPN like wireguard works, however it adds an additional layer of complexity and incompatibility. For example it would be inconvenient to have to establish a VPN to every server you wanted to connect to via HTTP if https had never been developed. Similarly it would be less convenient for people to connect to your MC server if they must first setup a VPN in order to do so.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, stazza said:

hey! so I downloaded both the binhex Java and Bedrock servers but my server won't let me run these two simultaneously? I get an execution error as attached below. how do I fix this? 

image.png.8a1765ad79c5c8acf6656bde72e20231.png

oh jokes! it was a simple as issue, the web GUI of both containers was mapped to the same port. a quick change of ports fixed it right up!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Hoping someone can help me. 
I have been running the bedrock server for my kids iPads for a while now and it works great but they are asking for resources packs and behaviour packs to be added to the server. 
I have added in the files to the correct folder for resource packs etc and created the file in the world folder with the added uuid and version of the resource pack I wish to use but when they load minecraft it does not ask them to download it or show anything different. I have texturepack-required=true set as well. 
Has anyone got texture packs working on this bedrock version?

Edited by SavageAUS
8 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

resources packs and behaviour packs to be added to the server.

This isn't a specific answer to your question. My experience is with a java server anyhow. Just keep in mind that for some of the neat things kids see on youtube channels, some of those add-ons are server side plugins, while others are client side <somethings>. Wow, looks like bedrock stuff is way different! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So question about the game and backup.  My minecraft servers been up and running and was set up for backups every 12 hrs.  The backup tends to start at 6:00am/pm.    In addition, my APPDATA Backup schedules to run every Fri at 6am.  So my friends and I were playing in the server yesterday from probably 9:30pm-ish to about 2am-ish.  We logged on this morning around 7:30 am  (after the backup ran) and all of our map changes (ie. I built a building and we built other things too) were missing.  I did notice that there were items in my inventory that remained in there this morning; however, the map changes seem to reverted back.  When i looked in my "backups" folder, the latest backup I had was from yesterday at 6pm (nothing for 6am due to the appdata backup). 

So my question is 1) Is there a way to recover the map?  and 2) Why did this happen?  How do i prevent?  Should I set to 4hr backups. 

We are just annoyed that we spent a decent amount of time building and the sense of loss is disheartening.

Thanks!

First of all, never make different backups run at the same time. Why would you do that. It is bad practice any way you look at it.

Second, no it doesn't make sense for this to happen, except if there is a "restore" somewhere in your schedules.
Even if a backup fails, it doesn't mean it would ruin a running source.
So, it shouldn't happen and looks like user error to me.

If the files were overwritten and you don't have a backup of the version you want, then it's game over for the data.

Why you need so many daily backups? Does your minecraft server have that much traffic and changes?
How many backups you keep? Because if you keep too few and take backups too many times, then it is also bad practice as you will find yourself even backing up... problems (if you don't find the whatever problem fast enough) and you will not have "clean" backups to revert to.

1 hour ago, NLS said:

First of all, never make different backups run at the same time. Why would you do that. It is bad practice any way you look at it.

Second, no it doesn't make sense for this to happen, except if there is a "restore" somewhere in your schedules.
Even if a backup fails, it doesn't mean it would ruin a running source.
So, it shouldn't happen and looks like user error to me.

If the files were overwritten and you don't have a backup of the version you want, then it's game over for the data.

Why you need so many daily backups? Does your minecraft server have that much traffic and changes?
How many backups you keep? Because if you keep too few and take backups too many times, then it is also bad practice as you will find yourself even backing up... problems (if you don't find the whatever problem fast enough) and you will not have "clean" backups to revert to.

So i guess to address the points, I didn't adjust any minecraft docker settings with respect to backups.  It was set to every 12 hrs.  The docker chose 6am/6pm to backup, not me.  I didn't even know the backup would run at 6 until i went in today to see what backup files I had in there.  My appdata backup has been a scheduled backup every Friday at 6am.  It's just mere coincidence. 

2) I dont have that much traffic but my concern is I am not sure how to set the backup time and I want to avoid this in the future.   By having more daily backups, I am less inclined to run into an instant where we lose 12 hrs worth of data.  Space isn't a concern and issues would be noticed within a day so I would have sufficient backups to look back on to remedy the issue (would have several days of backups available). 

3) Appdata backup forces dockers to close to backup the data.  We were just in the server at 2:00am and logged in and out and everything was there.  I have no idea why the server, when stopped, would not have the changes saved from earlier that day and revert to the previous backup.  My inventory is still current to what i had when I logged off -- the map changes are not.    I'll make it so the appdata backup does not force minecraft to stop any longer but obviously that doesn't solve the issue at hand.   

4) Not sure it's user error unless you consider the backup times this.  I did nothing to the appdata folder and have no idea why it would revert to the previous backup on it's own just by stopping the docker.  That's what brings me to the forum for the plea for help. 

It's been a while since I've connected to my binhex-minecraft server, so I don't know when the problem started.  My launcher is using version 1.19.2 and I'm getting a Java error.

Internal Exception: io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: Java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index of 84 out of bounds for length 5

I installed binhex-minecraftserver on my backup UnRaid server and it will allow me to connect to that one just fine, although it's a new world, none of my content.  I synchronized my data from the primary UnRaid server to the backup, binhex-minecraft server started fine, but the issue follows.  I can't connect to the server.  I wonder if I have an application version or a Java version conflict.  I don't know how to fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how to change the server minecraft version? My server got automatically updated to 1.19.3 and my shaders are only compatible up to 1.19.2, and I get "java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "qw$a.a(int, qx)" because the return value of "java.util.Map.get(Object)" is null. I'd like to change it back to 1.19.2 until new shaders are released. I saw the JAVA_VERSION variable but changing it to 1.19.2 still starts the server as 1.19.3.

Just saw previous posts with the same issue. Going to look at documentation again.

Edited by Mickery

Okay so as a bit of a newbie to all this I need a bit of help with setting up auto restart. 

I would like to have it automatically send out a message at a certain time of day saying it will restart. I plan on using User scripts, which I have already used a bit. Here is the problem: I have no clue as to the command I need to get to the minecraft console and then to do "say Restart in 10 minutes". 

If you look at the bottom of the attached image, that is what I mean. I just want to say that from the actual web terminal of the whole server. That way I can just turn it into a User Script and schedule it.

I already have commands for restarting the docker container and the whole server, it is just that very specific command I need to figure out. My knowledge about this stuff, especially console commands, is very limited. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!

command line.PNG

Edited by Cuffuf
adding explanation to my question
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I am really new to Minecraft.  My daughter has played for years and asked if I could set up a server for the 2 of us to play together on, so I did and it is running fine.  I would like to install some very basic mods and I would like to install forge as well on the server.  But, I really do not want to risk our progress and maps... Can I do this and is there any kind of guide that will help me figure it out?

My server is running 1.19.3, I have forge 1.19.2-forge-43.2.3 (latest) installed on the workstations.  But, it will not connect to the server because the versions are different.  I assume that I need to also install the forge server somehow.  Do I need another docker or can this one run multiple flavors?  Again, I do not want to destroy our progress, it would be great if our world could be opened in forge.

Are my nightly appdata backups good enough to preserve the world we have created?  Or is that local to the workstation?

Also, when I open the docker web gui, all I get is a console that tells me in real time what the users and server are doing, is that what I should get?

Sorry for being such a noob here.

Edited by mattw

I only ran this specific Docker briefly while Crafty Docker was having some issues a couple years ago. It wouldn’t hurt to get in there command line and tar up the entire appdata Minecraft server directory. You only really need the world folders, but everything besides the world folders is small enough you can just tar (aka zip) it all. 

You’ll want to grab the latest server jar and be running that for your server. If you’re getting version conflicts between server and clients, run an older version of the game on your clients to match the server as there’s nothing more that can be done with the server. 

It sounds like you’re concerned about losing existing progress. I would make a new server, build a house, back up, delete, and restore to make sure you’re familiar with the process before the poo hits the fan. Test it. 

have fun! A friend of a friend got me hooked on the game. I started playing with friend dads and their daughters. My daughter got into it, and I’ve been plugging away on several

worlds since the for years now. It’s a real fun game. Enjoy!

this video is real close to what you’d do

Edited by rutherford
3 minutes ago, rutherford said:

I only ran this specific Docker briefly while Crafty Docker was having some issues a couple years ago. It wouldn’t hurt to get in there command line and tar up the entire appdata Minecraft server directory. You only really need the world folders, but everything besides the world folders is small enough you can just tar (aka zip) it all. 

It sounds like you’re concerned about losing existing progress. I would make a new server, build a house, back up, delete, and restore to make sure you’re familiar with the process before the poo hits the fan. Test it. 

have fun! A friend of a friend got me hooked on the game. I started playing with friend dads and their daughters. My daughter got into it, and I’ve been plugging away on several

worlds since the for years now. It’s a real fun game. Enjoy!

So, if I spin up another docker of the same server, I should be able to move worlds around?  Can I install the binhex server in another container by just using different ports or do I need to name it somehow differently so it does not overwrite the existing install?

How do I add more worlds, does each server install only have one world?