[Support] binhex - MinecraftServer

hiyo!!! where are backups created and how do i restore one? 

Talk to me like an idiot, i do not really code and have 0 networking experience. I'm very savvy doing normal-person stuff on computers though.

for some context, i changed the BACKUP HOURS variable to 4, and im not seeing any backup folders created in the minecraft directory. I did a manual copy/paste in another location of the entire minecraft folder, but you could see how this would be tedious after a bit. Thanks all.

Edited by weiserty

PLEASE HELP (MINECRAFT VERSION CHANGE)

I can't seem to change the version to 1.16.5 (for a modpack).
It keeps changing it to 1.19.3!! I've tried updating the container in Key 9 and writing "1.16.5" BUT it when I restart the server, it automatically goes to 1.19.3. I then check the container settings and Key 9 (Container Variable: JAVA_VERSION) says "1.16.5", but it's lying to me.
After that I tried to go manually change it in the files >appdata > binhex-minecraftserver > minecraft > versions >1.19.3. And change the server-1.19.3.jar file that's in that file to a forge 1.16.5 file and renamed it to server-1.16.5.jar and even tried to trick it and name it server-1.19.3.jar.
Everything so far HASN'T worked!!

I'm encountering a problem with installing a 1.18.2 Forge server on the binhex container.

It appears the container expects to run a .jar file in order to start the server. However, when I install this version of the Forge server, the file that starts the server is a .bat. I haven't been able to find any guidance on this issue in my Googling thus far.

The .bat file looks like this

REM Forge requires a configured set of both JVM and program arguments.
REM Add custom JVM arguments to the user_jvm_args.txt
REM Add custom program arguments {such as nogui} to this file in the next line before the %* or
REM  pass them to this script directly
"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17.0.5\bin\java.exe" @user_jvm_args.txt @libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.18.2-40.1.84/win_args.txt %*
pause

On 1/6/2023 at 7:13 PM, Gigabyted said:

I'm encountering a problem with installing a 1.18.2 Forge server on the binhex container.

It appears the container expects to run a .jar file in order to start the server. However, when I install this version of the Forge server, the file that starts the server is a .bat. I haven't been able to find any guidance on this issue in my Googling thus far.

The .bat file looks like this

REM Forge requires a configured set of both JVM and program arguments.
REM Add custom JVM arguments to the user_jvm_args.txt
REM Add custom program arguments {such as nogui} to this file in the next line before the %* or
REM  pass them to this script directly
"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17.0.5\bin\java.exe" @user_jvm_args.txt @libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.18.2-40.1.84/win_args.txt %*
pause

Thats for a windows machine my dude.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, i'm running the latest docker and have had my kids using this server for about 3 weeks.  I had them log on today and it appears to be a brand new world, they don't have admin privileges etc...  The game is set to backup every 12 hours, plus I have a utility that backs up appdata.  

Is there a way to recover their world?

I think my cache drive is failing. I had to reboot unraid because there was a share I couldn't access (this happens a lot) and I noticed that the array wouldn't start and that one of my cached drives needed to be added into the pool.  I added the drive and it forced me to format it.  My appdata is set to cache only, it looks like my cache pool got cleared out.  I have other apps that didn't reset, like PMS/radarr/sab... however, Unifi controller did get reset.  What a pain.

Right now I am restoring unifi and minecraft from my CA appdata backups and hoping that clears the way.

Edited by ledfortr

@ledfortr dang it, sounds like you got a real unRaid dumpster fire on your hands there. You're going to want to figure out which drives, specifically, are failing and replace them right away. While you're at it, buy one extra drive too, for when this happens the next time. If you have room, you can put it into the server, and plug it in and NOT assign it anywhere. It will sit there quietly, no reads/writes, waiting on bench for it's turn to replace a failed main drive.

You shouldn't have to reboot the server, like almost ever. unRaid does have checkdisk stuff and disk health stuff built in. Go digging around in settings, then look up "how to replace data drive" in the wiki, and follow those steps. Do the same for your cache drive.

Now to the sad news: even if you were backing your minecraft world up, unless it was somewhere that was NOT one of those failing drives, you may have lost your stuff. When you DO find your world files, get them outta there wiki wiki. This advice is hindsight 20/20 here, but it's smart to back up mission critical stuff separately from even your unRaid server. There's a mantra out there that I'd do well to follow myself: raid is not a backup. Truly, sometimes I get some file errors that are unfixable. I "fix" them with some command line interface thing, and it creates all these "lost+found" files, sometimes thousands of them, and happy day: they're all these family pictures with metadata stripped, renamed, and thrown into random folders. It was awful, I had to delete them all and let those memories go away. Raid is not a backup.

There is a real good minecraft plugin! Drive Backup v2. I've had this going on several of my servers. It zips up and rotates the most recent XX backups to my Google Drive account. Now that's a backup. Not that it does you any good at this point.

I'll find a few links for ya here... This should get ya going. Good luck!

https://diskprices.com/

https://wiki.unraid.net/Replacing_a_Data_Drive

https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/drivebackupv2

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/99899-help-determining-if-drive-is-dying/

ooo this is excellent advice: maybe the cables are falling off, or breaking. "Swap cables, and see if the problems follow the drive."

Before you start messing with stuff, get a six'er of beers. Print out the Main page of your unRaid that shows which drives are assigned to what spots xda1, ssd3 whatever. At some point things may get boned, and you'll need to select which drive, out of all your drives, gets the drive4 spot. I recall the last 4-8 digits of the serial number of the hard drive is a good way to identify each physical drive.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Troubleshooting#System_Diagnostics

I won't look at these things (I should prolly figure it out one of these days), but the tech gurus around here will want to take a look at your system logs in the diagnostics.zip file. This is where to get them.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/59048-how-to-test-disk-health/

Rutherford - Thanks for the response.  That's a ton of good information.

I had a full backup with CA a couple of days ago, I'm un-tarring it now and i'll restore unifi and minecraft and see where that gets me.

I think you are right about the drives, I know my SSD is a cheapo vaseky I bought and probably should never have been put into service.

If I change the Appdata share over to Yes-cache vs. only cache, would that have recovered the appdata files? 

To your point about diagnostic data, I created a thread in the general support forum to try and figure out what's been happening. I think this minecraft issue/drive issue is related.

Help Troubleshooting - 6.11.5 Poweredge R510 - General Support - Unraid

Hi - it turns out my problems have been due to the drive going bad! I have a new drive in hand, just waiting for an app to get copied back to unraid that was backed up.

I was able to restore the minecraft instance from my CA backup and my sons and their friends are happy! They spent weeks building whatever they built.

I have another question - I made this server accessible via WAN and setup port forwarding rules on my router.  They asked if I could create another server for them in survival mode.  Is there a way to do this with this docker? Do I need to run another instance of it and have my sons friends connect in from an alternate port?

Thanks!

43 minutes ago, ledfortr said:

I made this server accessible via WAN and setup port forwarding rules on my router.  They asked if I could create another server for them in survival mode.  Is there a way to do this with this docker? Do I need to run another instance of it and have my sons friends connect in from an alternate port?

Exactly. Install a second instance with a different name, assign and forward a different port.

I'll install it tonight and migrate it prior to my little dudes getting home from school. 

They were not pleased with the downtime to replace the cache drive today.  They made a bunch of plans with friends, so i'll have to establish a change window haha.  

Thanks for all the help!  I've noticed the server being much snappier now that the problem drive is gone. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I have installed binhex minecraft server and work well but Im trying to instal Forge following @KryptykHermit steps but end with server executing in vanilla mode because I cannot see anything about Forge and mods. I think the variable MAIN_EXECUTABLE does not work.

I have tried different things wiithout success. 

How is the correct way?

I put CUSTOM_JAR_PATH pointed to /config/minecraft/libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.19.3-44.1.23/forge-1.19.3-44.1.23-universal.jar but it does not work. 

I have tried to copy this forge jar into the root changing name to minecraft_server.jar but always start in vanilla mode.

I have succesfully installed it on MineOS pointing to the minecraft_server.jar I copied and passing the java arguments @user_jvm_args.txt @libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.19.3-44.1.23/unix_args.txt and it runs perfectly in Forge mode and mods work well.

How can I pass this java arguments in the template of binhex minecraft server?

Other doubt I have is if I have set "binhex/arch-minecraftserver:1.19.3-01" on "repository" in minecraft binhex template, will it automatically upgrade if there is an update or will version 1.19.3-01 remain?

Thanks

Please help me, thanks.

Edited by viktortras
On 1/2/2023 at 12:35 PM, mattw said:

So, if I spin up another docker of the same server, I should be able to move worlds around?  Can I install the binhex server in another container by just using different ports or do I need to name it somehow differently so it does not overwrite the existing install?

How do I add more worlds, does each server install only have one world?

I'm also curious about this.  I'm guessing you need a separate container to have multiple simultaneous worlds.  But how do you just generate a new world on an existing container to start over with something new?  Do I delete the world folder in appdata/binhex-minecraftserver/minecraft and restart?

16 hours ago, cadarn07 said:

I'm also curious about this.  I'm guessing you need a separate container to have multiple simultaneous worlds.  But how do you just generate a new world on an existing container to start over with something new?  Do I delete the world folder in appdata/binhex-minecraftserver/minecraft and restart?

That is. You need to delete the world folder with the server off. When you start again a new world will be generated.

You can also move it to another server or make a backup.

Edited by viktortras
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys
i just managed to transfer the local world where me and my son usually play, to the docker server.
Everything seems to work, but we start naked as we were just killed before logging in.

I think we can store our equip in chests an trasfer the world again, but i wonder why that happens.

@Kedryn sounds like “player state” info. When you did the world transfer, did you get ALL the files in there? Previously, we’re you logged into the (now) Microsoft servers? The username will need to be an exact match to what it was before. If you’re having issues, it might be that something small has changed, like Mojang login previously and Microsoft login this time. 

I’m not specifically aware of which files are player state, but I do recall seeing a bunch of stuff in there with a long text string that I believe was attached to my character.

Not positive here on where you issues might be coming from, but that’s what comes to mind as places to check & things to Google.