[Support] binhex - MinecraftServer

43 minutes ago, Armed Ferret said:

Hello,

So I am able to connect to the Minecraft world with the default settings after adding the IP for my Unraid server.  However, when I try to migrate a Minecraft world from my Windows server to the Binhex folder and the world no longer connects.  I do not change the name of the World folder.  I just take the contents from my world folder and move it into the Binhex default world folder.  

Once I do that, the world no longer connects from my PC.  Any ideas on what I need to do to get this working? It seems to be something in the world folder causing this and I am not sure what. 

ok so on this docker image when you create a container it will create a folder /config/minecraft/worlds/ and in that folder will be a newly created world with the default name of 'Bedrock level', if you copy your world from your windows server to the 'worlds' folder you will then need to change the name of the world that you are loading in the file /config/minecraft/server.properties 'level-name' value, change this to match the folder name of the world in the 'worlds' folder that you copied over and restart the container.

Edited by binhex
1 hour ago, binhex said:

ok so on this docker image when you create a container it will create a folder /config/minecraft/worlds/ and in that folder will be a newly created world with the default name of 'Bedrock level', if you copy your world from your windows server to the 'worlds' folder you will then need to change the name of the world that you are loading in the file /config/minecraft/server.properties 'level-name' value, change this to match the folder name of the world in the 'worlds' folder that you copied over and restart the container.

Edited 1 hour ago by binhex

Do i need to rename the folder as well?  When I copied a world on a normal Windows machine, I would just remove the default world folder and copy the new world folder over to the same place.  The world folder had my worlds name on it.  

I tried to do the following:

Went into Appdata > binhex-minecraftserver > minecraft and deleted the world folder

Copied over my folder with my worlds name.

Went to the server.properties file and added my worlds name. 

Tried to connect to world and got connection refused. 

These are the files in my world I am trying to copy over.

image.png.b77cb35c21900f641575a92936d55d2d.png

1 hour ago, binhex said:

Nevermind, I got it working.  I think I was treating this like a typical Windows Box.  In the server.properties file I was specifying my Minecraft docker/Unraid IP.  However, when I did a test with the default world it connected with no problem.  So this time I left the server IP blank in the server.properties file. 

Next thing I did was this. 

After deleting the binhex docker and the file binhex-minecraft folder location in Appdata, I reinstalled the docker with default settings.

Then I launched minecraft and connected to the world.  

After that I exited out of the world and uploaded the contents of my world folder to the default world folder.  I did not delete the world folder nor rename it.  

When I logged back in I was able to connect to my world.  

ok iam new to unraid and my dad set up the server for me, so i got to the docker terminal for the minecraft server, what do i do from there to get to the server terminal/logs

edit: so I got to the logs and the server is crashing, how should i access the crash report?

Edited by New to unraid
update
1 hour ago, New to unraid said:

ok iam new to unraid and my dad set up the server for me, so i got to the docker terminal for the minecraft server, what do i do from there to get to the server terminal/logs

edit: so I got to the logs and the server is crashing, how should i access the crash report?

Are you just starting a new world on a minecraft server?  Is this meant just for people in your house/on your network to connect to?  If so, I would try just going into Minecraft on your PC. (The actual Game on your computer.) Launch it and click on multiplayer. Next click "Add Server" and enter the IP address of your minecraft server followed by the port.  The default port is 25565.    Here's an example of how to enter it.  192.161.1.2:25565.  Now click done and try to connect.  If you get "connection refused" then you may need to open the port on your router.  Let me know if this helps. 

12 hours ago, Armed Ferret said:

Are you just starting a new world on a minecraft server?  Is this meant just for people in your house/on your network to connect to?  If so, I would try just going into Minecraft on your PC. (The actual Game on your computer.) Launch it and click on multiplayer. Next click "Add Server" and enter the IP address of your minecraft server followed by the port.  The default port is 25565.    Here's an example of how to enter it.  192.161.1.2:25565.  Now click done and try to connect.  If you get "connection refused" then you may need to open the port on your router.  Let me know if this helps. 

no the server is crashing i have found and it wont let me connect, its is not just for people in my house and no one can connect at all

18 minutes ago, New to unraid said:

it says "a single tick took 60.00 seconds, its should be .05 seconds, so the server was conidered crashed" or something along those lines

im assuming you are seeing something like this right? (taken from a reddit post):-

[Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 5554ms behind, skipping 111 tick(s) ...

[Server Watchdog/FATAL]: A single server tick took 60.00 seconds (should be max 0.05)

[Server Watchdog/FATAL]: Considering it to be crashed, server will forcibly shutdown.

[Server Watchdog/ERROR]: This crash report has been saved to: C:\mc-server\.\crash-reports\crash-2015-04-08_19.57.52-server.txt

[Thread-4/INFO]: Stopping server

if so you can try the suggested fix of disabling the watchdog to prevent the max tick time being met:-

open file /config/minecraft/server.properties with a text editor, dont use notepad, use something like notepad++ then add the following line, save and restart the container:-

max-tick-time=-1

this in effect disables the watchdog.

keep in mind the reason the watchdog was triggered is probably due to weak hardware, so you may find your server is quite sluggish.

13 hours ago, New to unraid said:

now the server is up and running but players cant join as it times out

stop any vm's you have running, shutdown all other docker containers, then try to connect, if still no go then your hardware is simply too weak to run minecraft and will require a hardware upgrade.

Edited by binhex
On 11/19/2019 at 7:49 PM, KryptykHermit said:

I started understanding how to put this all together and wanted to throw some info out there for those that need it. 

First of all, I would recommend that if you are going to use the Vanilla version of MC (what binhex has provided)

1. make sure the docker not running
  2. browse out to your appdata\binhex-minecraftserver\minecraft folder
  3. edit the server.properties file with notepad++ (I'm using Windows for all of this)
  4. Change the following settings if you like:
    1. difficulty=[easy|hard]
    2. gamemode=[creative|adventure|survival]
    3. force-gamemode=[true|false]
    4. level-name=world  <=== This is the folder name all your game data is saved into
    5. motd=Logon Message   <=== Message displayed when you log into the server from a MC client

Now, if you are like me, you want to use Forge or Bukkit.  In this case

1. create a folder on your C:\ drive called "Minecraft"
  2. download the minecraft server file from HERE, and place it into C:\Minecraft (believe it's called 'minecraft_server.1.14.4.jar')
  3. double-click the file, and wait for a minute as it downloads some MC server files.
  4. When it stops, edit the EULA.txt file, and change the line inside from false to true
    1. eula=true
  5. Double-click on the minecraft_server.1.14.4.jar file again and wait for it to finish
  6. type in "/stop".  This will kill the minecraft server.
  7. Download forge for the version of MC server you just downloaded (You want the INSTALLER button in the recommended box on the site)
  8. Place this file (forge-1.14.4-28.1.0.jar) in C:\Minecraft
  9. Double click on this file.
  10. Select SERVER and change the path to C:\Minecraft
  11. Let it perform its magic
  12. Once finished, again, shut it down with "/stop"
  13. Now copy the contents of C:\Minecraft to appdata\binhex-minecraftserver\minecraft
  14. Delete the file appdata\binhex-minecraftserver\perms.txt  (this will restore the default permissions to the files you copied over)
  15. In Unraid, edit the docker and create a new variableVARIABLE.thumb.PNG.220f2e001905e6b05209825a029e494b.PNG
  16. Click SAVE and then APPLY/DONE
  17. Fire up the docker

This will use the forge jar file within the docker container, instead of the vanilla jar file.  From this point, if you want to add resource packs or mods, you can download them and install into the "mods" or "resourcepacks" folder as necessary.  These folders may need to be created.

A good mod to verify that your server is working is FastLeafDecay-Mod-1.14.4.jar. You can find it HERE.  Chop a tree down and it should dissolve a lot quicker than normal.  I would also recommend adding one or two mods at a time and testing.

Let me know if you'd like more details on the above.

Ok i have tried this a few times.

The issue i am having is the first part of this when i try to change the server properties it never changes. it always goes back to default. The MC version i installed was binhex minecraftserver 1.15.2 i think it is. It all works great but i am now trying to edit server properties, and also install forge so i can get mods running. 

Do i need to use the other MC version binhex minecraftbedrockserver  for the above steps to work?

Thanks

On 11/5/2019 at 10:43 AM, binhex said:

If you have downloaded Minecraft from the Microsoft Store, using an Android device (Minecraft Pocket Edition) or Xbox One then you need to use this Docker image:-

If you use Minecraft Java Edition then you need to use this Docker image:--

Your links are dead. 

• 2 weeks later...

@binhex

Noticed a few people having issues and complaining.

Just wanted to say thanks and add that this all worked first time for me on an up to date Unraid box and Minecraft launcher. Your efforts are appreciated.

FWIW I wanted to tweak my settings so ssh'd into my Unraid server and edited the sever properties file and rebooted using the usual linux commands, all worked a treat.

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

A little bit of cross advertisement here :-), if you are looking to run multiple Minecraft Servers (Java only) and/or you want to run non Mojang versions such as Paperspigot, Spigot, Forge or Nukkit then you may want to look at switching to MineOS-node (install via CA), link to support below:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/92533-support-binhex-mineos-node/

Screenshot of available server types:-

image.png.b6182afb821d706e9da118ac99efc19b.png

Edited by binhex
1 hour ago, Diquefiche said:

Is there any way to add security to this if I would like to open up to outside? I don't want to be port-scanned and have this server advertised as a public Minecraft server.. It is just for my son to play with his friends.

thats a good question, and tbh i really havent thought about security in regards to minecraft servers. from my quick google around it looks like minecraft itself doesnt really have any built in security, so all you have available to you is obfuscation via non standard port and possibly disable external access and create a vpn tunnel instead if a remote friend wants to connect.

i guess the question is what is the risk here, and the risk imho is low, even if somebody joined your server they wont have op status so they wont be able to do much, and afaik there is no way to break out of the minecraft game and execute commands on the container, and even if they did that the container has limited access to your hosts filesystem (/config only).

another obvious thing you could do is shutdown the container when its not required, it should only take 30 secs for a container to be up and operational so the wait is not long.

8 minutes ago, binhex said:

thats a good question, and tbh i really havent thought about security in regards to minecraft servers. from my quick google around it looks like minecraft itself doesnt really have any built in security, so all you have available to you is obfuscation via non standard port and possibly disable external access and create a vpn tunnel instead if a remote friend wants to connect.

i guess the question is what is the risk here, and the risk imho is low, even if somebody joined your server they wont have op status so they wont be able to do much, and afaik there is no way to break out of the minecraft game and execute commands on the container, and even if they did that the container has limited access to your hosts filesystem (/config only).

another obvious thing you could do is shutdown the container when its not required, it should only take 30 secs for a container to be up and operational so the wait is not long.

Well the best way is to enable the Whitelist. Then it doesn't matter if someone from outside trys to Connect. Generell security reasons aside.

Well the best way is to enable the Whitelist. Then it doesn't matter if someone from outside trys to Connect. Generell security reasons aside.
Pls can you tell us how to do that?
Also, since my son is "experimenting" with the ingame console commands and I have clue what can be altered there, what should I remark to him not to change in order to avoid any possible security holes if the server is opened to the outside world?

Enviado desde mi HMA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

On 5/23/2020 at 1:28 AM, luca2 said:

Pls can you tell us how to do that?
Also, since my son is "experimenting" with the ingame console commands and I have clue what can be altered there, what should I remark to him not to change in order to avoid any possible security holes if the server is opened to the outside world?

The only thing that can happen is that he destroys his minecraft world.

It is also a good idea that you look up the official minecraft forum how the whitelst works.

Our containers are the same as a linux dedicated server and you should be able to edit it like you do it on a dedicated server that you ren or set up on a linux machine.

I think you can also whitelist people from the ingame console.

Also keep in mind, everything that you open to the outside world is a possible security risk, if somebody want to get into your system the chances are high that he succeed (that said, this doese not only apply to the minecraft container, this apply's to everything and also not only to containers).

Nothing is 100% safe nowerdays.

I've been running minecraft servers (java and bedrock editon for years now also on dedicated servers or in containers) and never got a spamed or something else.

The whitelist is possible the best solution or you install plugins of you run bukkit (now spigot) so that you can add usergroups, but if you do this with plugins it's not that easy as with the whitelist.

If you keep your minecraft version up to date there should be no issue.

Edited by ich777

Thx for the info. I finally did setup a whitelist. Have been testing it and it works fine.
Also, I was testing assigning different op. Just to be able to execute commands ingame. Also tested if a new player can access any commands without being op.

Finally, I thought about using let's encrypt to allow friends to access my minecraft server. Haven't got time yet to study it. Anyone has tried this?

2 minutes ago, luca2 said:

Thx for the info. I finally did setup a whitelist. Have been testing it and it works fine.
Also, I was testing assigning different op. Just to be able to execute commands ingame. Also tested if a new player can access any commands without being op.

Finally, I thought about using let's encrypt to allow friends to access my minecraft server. Haven't got time yet to study it. Anyone has tried this?

That's not possible afaik and not necessary since Minecraft uses enryption since version 1.7. at least login-datas are enrypted I'm not sure about gamedata. But u should have your Server in online-mode to prevent griefing