[Support] binhex - MinecraftBedrockServer

15 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

I too cannot find server.properties. I installed the container for the first time a few hrs ago

FWIW, my server.properties file was missing during my first installation of the container as well. I manually created the file in \appdata\binhex-minecraftbedrockserver\minecraft using the default settings from the Minecraft Wiki and I was off to the races. 

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server.properties

2 hours ago, jj_uk said:

Great. I've done that and it's up and running. 

Is it possible to have multiple levels on the same server?

You can have multiple levels on the same sever but they won't be accessible at the same time.  You would have to change the server.properties to match the level you wanted to play. 

You can have multiple Minecraft dockers running and with proper port forwarding you can have multiple levels assessible at the same time. There was some talk about doing this early in this thread.  I have not done this so I cannot offer specifics.

Found this 

Edited by Bentunit
31 minutes ago, binhex said:

hmm odd, i just tested this and the server.properties file is created for me on fresh install.

I created a second "TEST" container pulling from CA. Same result as the first time.

385935083_ScreenShot2020-06-27at1_24_47PM.thumb.png.d673b54612f5f09c55440b6272eb1d9f.png

However, when it was initializing it didn't have to pull the docker container contents again which I assume has to do with that fact that I already have an instance of the container on my server. I am wondering if a truly fresh install (which I would assume means removing previous docker images and appdata?) would create the server.properties. But, from what it sounds like, this shouldn't have happened in the first place anyway.

Edited by planetarymotion
9 minutes ago, planetarymotion said:

However, when it was initializing it didn't have to pull the docker container contents again which I assume has to do with that fact that I already have an instance of the container on my server.

its not the container, its the image, and yes this is normal.

9 minutes ago, planetarymotion said:

I am wondering if a truly fresh install (which I would assume mean removing previous docker images and appdata?) would create the server.properties. But, from what it sounds like, this shouldn't have happened in the first place anyway.

no you dont need to do this, as long as the image is up to date (click on force update to confirm), then changing the /config folder will force a fresh install to occur. 

SCRUB THAT - tried it a third time and this time it did not create the server.properties file, so looks like its random, i will take a look.

i see you are on a mac using 'finder', i wonder if finder is hiding .properties files for some reason perhaps, thats all i can conclude right now as it just works on my system,.

one thing you can do to confirm  the file exists (or not) is left click the icon and select 'console' for the container and then type the following and paste the output:-

ls -al /config/minecraft

Edited by binhex
37 minutes ago, binhex said:

SCRUB THAT - tried it a third time and this time it did not create the server.properties file, so looks like its random, i will take a look.

Sounds good. I created another instance and opened the /config in Krusader with no luck. 

3 minutes ago, binhex said:

i see the problem and i have a fix that im testing, if all goes well then expect a new image in around 40 mins.

Awesome! 

2 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

The fix will only affect new installs, right?

If you are still missing the server.properties file, you could manually create it. This is what I did the first time. 

5 hours ago, planetarymotion said:

FWIW, my server.properties file was missing during my first installation of the container as well. I manually created the file in \appdata\binhex-minecraftbedrockserver\minecraft using the default settings from the Minecraft Wiki and I was off to the races. 

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server.properties

28 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

Now I need to use BedrockConnect to allow external Xboxs to connect to my MC server; but I don't really trust a random dns server and I expect it would be less latency if it was running locally.

my advise, use phantom instead, get the remote users to install phantom and configure it to point at your minecraft bedrock server's external ip and port (assumig port forwarding has been done on your router).

link to phantom:- https://github.com/jhead/phantom/releases/tag/v0.5.1

3 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

They're kids using xboxes. I'd need to give them all raspberry pi's and have them connect to that. And explain to the parents why I'm giving tgeir child a device that wants internet access ...

alternatively download phantom (single exe) get them to run it on a pc running windows and you are good, sounds easier to me than dns redirection or any of that funky stuff - keep in mind any solution will need to run on the remote users lan (not your lan), there is no way around this.

Edited by binhex
5 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

I thought the BedrockConnect DNS server runs on my hardware and the xbox users changes their DNS lookup settings to point to my WAN IP address, which is then forwarded to the BedrockConnect DNS?

ive got no idea how bedrockconnect works, but even it its changing dns for the xbox that is going to be non trivial for kids, and of course will need changing back if your name server goes down, phantom requires no changes to any networking, your choice at the end of the day but i know what i would choose.

6 hours ago, Bentunit said:

You can have multiple levels on the same sever but they won't be accessible at the same time.  You would have to change the server.properties to match the level you wanted to play. 

You can have multiple Minecraft dockers running and with proper port forwarding you can have multiple levels assessible at the same time. There was some talk about doing this early in this thread.  I have not done this so I cannot offer specifics.

Found this 

I dont think it will work because AFAIK, minecraft expects servers to be on port 19132, and there can only be one server running on that port at a time. 

Edited by jj_uk
On 6/28/2020 at 12:11 AM, jj_uk said:

I dont think it will work because AFAIK, minecraft expects servers to be on port 19132, and there can only be one server running on that port at a time. 

this is no doubt true for xbox, but for anybody running minecraft bedrock on windows i THINK you can define the port of the server you connect to (correct me if im wrong here guys)/

1 hour ago, binhex said:

this is no doubt true for xbox, but for anybody running minecraft bedrock on windows i THINK you can define the port of the server you connect to (correct me if im wrong here guys)/

Yes, you can specify a port on Windows and also an Android.

EDIT: @jj_uk and it should be also possible to enter a port if you are connecting with BedrockConnect DNS ;)

Or what is the question here? You can run BedrockConnect DNS on your hardware but there are also servers that you can use, they just forward you to your server.

• Like 1

I have the xbox working with the bedrockconnect DNS.

Yes. You can enter a port on xbox.

I'll create a few instances of this docker on different ports and see it'll work.

Hopefully LAN games on minecraft searches all ports as I can't see where that can be changed (android).

18 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

Hopefully LAN games on minecraft searches all ports as I can't see where that can be changed (android).

you can def define the port for minecraft pe (android), go to play/servers tab and then click add server and enter in the details including the port, this is what i personally use when outside my lan and it works great! (it also works inside my lan via port reflection).

Edited by binhex
39 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

I have the xbox working with the bedrockconnect DNS.

Yes. You can enter a port on xbox.

I'll create a few instances of this docker on different ports and see it'll work.

Here is a screenshot from android when you add a server:

Screenshot_20200629-133356_Minecraft.thumb.png.7488dac00b9750ab872f6a1a461f2974.png

I can tell you that this works if you create multiple instances (tested this with another container but not with yours @binhex but should also be no problem. ;) )

EDIT: I think you are talking of the 2nd tab within minecraft.

In the 3rd tab on the bottom you can add custom servers. ;)

• Like 1
On 6/3/2020 at 6:49 AM, binhex said:

ive enhanced this image, it now logs the minecraft console to /config/minecraft/logs/screen.log

i have also included an automated backup system and purge of older backups, if not defined via env var it will be set to:-

CREATE_BACKUP_HOURS=12		# number of hours between subsequent backups of worlds folder
PURGE_BACKUP_DAYS=14		# purge backups older than this number of days

backups will reside in /config/minecraft/backups/

Can I check how to edit the schedule? i added via the gui variables and guessed how to do it.

In the xml it appears as such:

<Variable>
      <Value>12</Value>
      <Name>CREATE_BACKUP_HOURS</Name>
      <Mode/>
    </Variable>
    <Variable>
      <Value>7</Value>
      <Name>PURGE_BACKUP_DAYS</Name>
      <Mode/>
    </Variable>

Th GUI I set key as the description and value as the integer. Is that right?