Disk Failure, SMART test says disk failing now within 24hrs, save all data!

Hi Chaps, been running some 4 x 3tb reds for 4-5 years now on Unraid - 

Tried to find out the incredibly slow read rates recently (kept hanging on VM) 

Found out SMART test says your screwed in 24hrs - save data!

Any knowledgeable guys hanging around they could take a glance over my disk report attached and confirm im in for s **t storm?

quick trip to amazon i think.....

Thanks

WDC_WD30EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K3ZJ05RV-20191106-2316.txt

Running a parity check with a disk already flagged as in trouble does not seem a good idea and likely to tip the disk into final failure (and potentially corrupting parity if you have set it to be a correcting check).

if you want any informed feedback as to why things are running slow you should provide the full diagnostics zip file, not just the SMART data.

Edited by itimpi

@itimpi Thanks, pretty much what you explained above started to happen. Logs for the Disk was spewing out errors - The speed of the parity was clearly affected by these read errors so i'm assuming this may not be set as the correcting check. Hope not 🤞

Creating RMA with WD considering 8 months old. Will add a second parity - Paranoia kicking in!

Image of disk errors after 0.1% of parity check 😨, been saying 4 errors last 24 hours.

Was hoping it may be a data cable if continuous error reads all of a sudden

I've stopped the Array until the new HDD arrives tomorrow. 

2019_11_07_01_45_27_NYX_Main.jpg

Edited by Joeyleigh
1 hour ago, Joeyleigh said:

i'm assuming this may not be set as the correcting check.

Correcting parity checks are the default (wrongly, IMO) so unless you unchecked the "Write corrections to parity" box it was. Your diagnostics, assuming you haven't rebooted since starting the check, would confirm. This is the third time of asking for them. Go to Tools -> Diagnostics and attach the resulting zip file to your next post.

John,

Zip attached - 

Ordered a new drive yesterday, its sat on the table downstairs but i had 1 more idea before i install - i hear a lot about cable problems and seeing the errors hit me quickly, i took the array off-line disconnected and re-connected the SATA cables.  

I have booted the system and its not coming up with any errors, i can't complete a Smart test though as it seems to still be in error mode even though the logs show its working fine - Read rates are high again and i'm not hanging anymore?

I have checked the Raw values over the last 30 mins - transferring and sending data across different disks, its still the same.

Is there a more complex way of testing the disk now its working again, or resetting the smart test error?

Thanks

nyx-diagnostics-20191109-1402.zip

Edited by Joeyleigh