Share and disk issue

I posted this originally in ver 6 forum, so thought might get better luck here. 

Im using 5.0 rc10 and I plan on upgrading soon.  Just haven't had time.  I have looked at the windows and smb thread but this problem is strange to me.

I lost 2 drives and replaced them.  Data rebuild went fine.  So I click on my unraid server in windows 10 and not only do I see my shares as usual, I now see all of my disks listed as well.  So if I open my Movies share only about a third of my movies are in there.   Same for other shares like tv series.  Part of the metadata gone, not all seasons there, etc.   But I can find the data spread out on the disks.  Not sure whats going on.  I haven't changed any settings by the way, and it has worked flawlessly for years.

Is there some setting I'm overlooking or should I just say screw it and upgrade to 6?

unraid.JPG

1 hour ago, me23 said:

I now see all of my disks listed as well

I have not used version 5 for years but I am pretty sure shares were handled the same way now in version 6 as they were in the v5 days.

If your disks were not showing up before and they now are, in some way some settings have been altered.  In Global Share Settings you can enable or disable all disk shares.

If disk shares are enabled, they will show up in the Shares tab after the user shares.  You can then click on each disk share individually and decide if you want it exported.  If this is set to "Yes" the disk share will show up in Windows.  Apparently, Global Share Settings has disk shares enabled and they are all now exported as well.

User shares can span one or more disks according your disk include/exclude settings for each user share (or global share settings).  It is not at all unusual that when you explore an individual disk that you will see only the files on that disk that belong to a certain share.  The user share abstracts the view of files in such a way that it aggregates all the files stored on all the disks included in the share in such that they all appear to be in one place even though they may be physically stored on several disks.

If the Movies share is storing files on disks 1-5 there will be a Movies folder on all five disks but the sub-folders and files on each disk will only contain a portion of the content of your Movies share.

Be very careful with things as they are now.  NEVER EVER move or copy content between disk shares and user shares as you could end up with data loss.  Because user shares and disk shares could reference the same content, you could actually end up copying/moving files on top of themselves which will, in effect, erase the files.  It is highly recommended that you do not export disk shares.

Thank you for the response.  Yeah that is my understanding on how the disks and shares work as well.,  I haven't touched the disks or moved anything so that should be ok.  That's why its strange for the settings to be altered since I didn't do it.  Trust me I have been very hands off on this server as far as settings mainly because it works so well.  Anyway, so what is my best course of action, just check the global share settings set export to no?  Only thing under the shares tab are the share folders I made like movies, tv series, etc.   That's it.  I don't remember seeing a global setting.  Like I said I just set it and forget it long time ago.  I guess I'll take a look again when I get home.

Only thing I don't understand is why would I only be seeing a third of my movies when I look in the Movies user share folder?  Shouldn't it still be showing all my movies that was aggregated from the disks, whether the disk shares are exported or not?

Thanks again.

Edited by me23
1 hour ago, me23 said:

Anyway, so what is my best course of action,

And here is where my knowledge of the way things were in v5 is fading.  Version 6 has so many more great troubleshooting tools and a way to gather complete system logs and settings in a diagnostics file.  I don't think that exists in v5 and just a syslog is going to be of marginal use in this case, but, its better than nothing.

Perhaps there is something useful here.

It would be nice to see what your global and user share settings are currently.  

It might be worth putting the array into Maintenance mode and then  running a command of the form:

reiserfsck /dev/mdX

(where X represents the disk number) for each of the disks in your array.     This would check each disk for file system corruption and if any is found suggest the best way to correct it.    Check back here if you get back any results you are not sure of.   This command can take a little while to run so do not be concerned if it takes a while.

Ok Ill check that.  I was able to make the disks stop showing by choosing no on export for each indiv disk on the main tab.  Unfortunately, the Movies share is only showing about half of my collection.  I'm afraid there may be some corruption or something.

My parity check completed and got validity and no errors.

Edited by me23

You cannot do this until you upgrade to version 6, but, you may want to start thinking about moving to XFS instead of ReiserFS.  The latter is no longer developed or supported and XFS seems a bit more robust.  Btrfs is also an option, but, for most XFS is preferred on data disks.

There is a good discussion of that process here.

Started running reiserfsck and the first disk I originally swapped shows corruptions.  It did say some of them are fixable but now im seriously considering just doing a clean install of 6, formatting the drives in xfs and transfer my movies back over.  Everything is backed up on external drives including metadata.

Does that sound like a good idea?  Or is there another way to get it back to where it was that's fairly painless.

Edited by me23
48 minutes ago, me23 said:

Everything is backed up on external drives including metadata.  Does that sound like a good idea?

If I had everything currently on my array backed up on external drives and was experiencing corruption issues and I wanted to upgrade the OS and reformat disks to XFS, I would do exactly as you have proposed.

When I made the jump from v5 to v6 I also wanted to reformat drives in XFS.  I did not have the luxury a full on-site backup at that time so I did it one drive at a time as per the procedure I linked previously with an extra drive I bought for that purpose.  I like your way better 😁

5 hours ago, me23 said:

Started running reiserfsck and the first disk I originally swapped shows corruptions.  It did say some of them are fixable but now im seriously considering just doing a clean install of 6, formatting the drives in xfs and transfer my movies back over.  Everything is backed up on external drives including metadata.

Does that sound like a good idea?  Or is there another way to get it back to where it was that's fairly painless.

The fact that corruptions were found shows that this might have been why some movies were apparently ‘missing’ from your ‘user Shares.

if you have everything backed up then starting with a fresh v6 install sounds like a good idea.    It will make sure you do not inadvertently bring forward something from the V5 release that is incompatible with v6.    Make sure you make a copy of your license file on the current USB before overwriting the USB with a clean v6 release.   If you want the ability (hopefully not) to revert make sure you have a full backup if the current v5 USB contents.

note that when setting up the new v6 array UnRAID will start by auto-recognising that the current disks are in reiserfs format with an UnRAID compatible portioning scheme and any data on them left intact.   You need (with the array stopped) change the format to the new desired one (presumably XFS) before starting the array to be given the option to format the drives with a clean empty file system.

Edited by itimpi

Ok so it was that one drive.  I did a rebuild tree and pretty much recovered everything except for some recent data that I had copied over there.

I guess fragments of that are in that lost+found folder.  Good learning experience, but still going to upgrade.  Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.