New Ryzen based server

Dr_Cox1911

As it currently looks my trusty old unraid server is dying, so I'm looking for a new system.

I wanted to give a Ryzen based server a go, as I'm running a 2700x based gaming rig.

The current server:

ASRock P67 Extreme6

Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz

8GB RAM (need to check for the exact type)

Intel NIC (need to check for the exact type)

2x 8TB WD Red

4x 4TB WD Red

1x 3TB WD Green

1x 500GB Samsung Evo as Cache

500W Enermax Power supply (need to check for the exact type)

The new Hardware:

MSI B450-A Pro MAX

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16)

Adaptec HBA 1000-8i SAS

2x 0.50m Delock SAS 6Gb/s Adaptercable SFF-8643  to 4xSATA 

3x 8TB WD Red WD80EFAX

I would still use a bunch of components from the old server, Like Power supply, case, some hdds, SSD, Intel nic, ...

What do you guys think about this setup? Is the Ryzen APU stable enough for a 24/7 system?

My max budget for the new components is 1300€.

EDIT: 

Or is something like the LSI 9211-8i good enough for unraid as a HBA? I could save some bucks with this.

Edited by Dr_Cox1911
6 hours ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

Thanks for your reply and Happy that someone else is building a Ryzen based server.

FYI, there are many Ryzen builds in use as unRAID servers going back to the first generation Ryzen.  Granted, gen. 1 Ryzens had some issues in general with Linux, but, those appear to have been resolved in gen 2 and 3 Ryzen.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:08 AM, Dr_Cox1911 said:

Or is something like the LSI 9211-8i good enough for unraid as a HBA?

That HBA (and its clones like the Dell H310 or IBM M1015) is used frequently with unRAID.

Many run their server completely headless as well (one of my servers is headless) and require no GPU/APU.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Many run their server completely headless as well (one of my servers is headless) and require no GPU/APU.

I run my server headless as well but it is always a hassle to get boards to properly boot without one (might not be a problem with real server boards, but these systems are kinda overkill for my usecase).

And I find it nice to be able to plug in a screen if there is something amiss (had to do this a while back before I bought the Intel NIC, the Realtek one acted up and I couldn't access unraid via network.

I will take the 9211 then and not the Adaptec.

I’ve been running ryzen 2700x on a asrock fatality x470 since January without issue. Just added a Radeon rx580 for when I want to plug a screen.  Runs very well.

Last month I moved the 2700x to an asus RoG strix x470-f as I wanted more pci slots to add more GPUs and run at least 2 vms with pass through at the same time. Once I resolved the motherboard bios issue (had to downgrade as this amd vga story is not finished) everything also worked fine.

Edited by juan11perez

That HBA (and its clones like the Dell H310 or IBM M1015) is used frequently with unRAID.

I'm running a 2700x and went with a Zotac GeForce GT 710 1 GB DDR3 PCIe x1 Passive PCI Graphics Card as I wanted to see the console, it's fairly cheap and passively cooled so I'm happy with it

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

i am running a simlar setup to the one your are proposing mine consists of the following:

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G

Asus Prime B450-Pro

16Gb Generic DDR 4 2400Mhz

2 x Crucial BX500 120Gb SSD RAID 1 for Caching

4 x 6Tb WD Reddrives

2 x 3Tb Seagate Barracuda Drives

LSI 9207 -8i SAS Card

Antec P101 Silent Case 

Corsair RM850 PSU

Been running this config for 2 months on pro license an have not looked back from my Windows Home server days. 

The simplicity and effectiveness of this has changed my workflow dramatically as the cache drive works flawlessly when working on files from the server and my last data loss from WHS was enough for me to rethink windows servers. I run a Macbook pro and a Windows based work machines plus multiple clients around the house a general NAS, no latency on any machine what so ever. 

Only thing i might change is the CPU and go a 5400G instead of the 3200G for more threads and computer power in the future.

Edited by d-Z1R3D