Dissones4U

-=SOLVED=- Updating BIOS Question

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

My server is running bios v 1.3.9, and want to upgrade to the current version (1.14.0) so that I can upgrade the CPU

• When downloading from Dell, what OS should I select in the Dell OS picker, I assume Red Hat Enterprise 6 but I question if the OS type truly matters (I assume it's there for a reason though) I only wonder because when I first received this T410 it had windows server 2012 installed, I've not done anything with the bios since installing unRaid in 2017 and frankly it runs fine.

any insight is appreciated...

Edited by Dissones4U
SOLVED

I'd like to do this tonight when I get home and I'm still not 100% comfortable regarding which version of bios to use, any insight would be appreciated...

BIOS's are OS agnostic

But, in the OS drop down there is an option that says "BIOS"

On 11/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, Dissones4U said:

frankly it runs fine.

Then why bother.  While I tend to update my BIOS every once in a while, no matter what you do it does entail a (very small) risk of bricking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Squid said:

Then why bother.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, Dissones4U said:

want to upgarde to the current version (1.14.0) so that I can upgrade the CPU

So I'm still struggling with this, I have created a dos bootable usb with an exe file from dell on it. I can view the directory and load the new bios but I'm unclear on how to initiate the flash. I've tried google without success. I can navigate to, and view, the directory. When I type in the file name the new bios say 100% loaded and show the new version info but nothing really happens and I have the same old bios when I restart. I assume there is a command that I'm missing to run the exe file...

IMG_3333.JPG

If it’s all working fine and no potential of advantages; leave it well alone. Your headed down a dark road lol

15 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

If it’s all working fine and no potential of advantages; leave it well alone. Your headed down a dark road lol

On 11/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, Dissones4U said:

so that I can upgrade the CPU

14 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Don't type the exe, just the pet410~1

You're a beast brother! I've been fooling with that for hours, I can't believe it was that easy yet nothing online to move me in that direction...

Thank you kindly!

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3338.JPG

Edited by Dissones4U