Replacement Disk Assignment Got All Mangled Up When A Drive Went Bad

RAINMAN

I had a 4tb drive go bad so I unassigned the slot and rebooted the server.  It then started up but it put in my unassigned disk that is a 5tb drive and started rebuilding onto that automatically. So I probably lost all the data on that which isnt a big deal as its mostly a temp storage drive. but the problem now is that when I try and put the 4tb drive back in that slot it tells me "The replacement disk must be as big or bigger than the original."  Is there any way I can put the 4tb back in that slot or and I SOL?

Reading other situations I came to this possible option.

I have a spare 3tb drive that I can use as a backup.  So I'll take the 4tb out (only ~2tb used) and backup the data to the 3tb using my desktop PC.

I will remove the 4tb from the array and rebuild the parity drive.

Once the parity drive is rebuilt I can re-add this drive as a new drive and copy the data from my backup back to it.  

Do these steps seem logical?  

But I am not 100% clear on the best way to rebuild the parity drive from the data disks.

Using the guide for removing drives and rebuilding parity but I am stuck on this step:

Use New Config to unassign removed drives and assign parity. You can also change the slot assignment of the new drive or any other drives at this point.

Start array and let parity rebuild.

In my options I dont have this selection.

image.png.b05a0f33e15a495e477858558aea4dd2.png

Which option(s) do I choose to just rebuild the parity drive with the existing data drives?

1 hour ago, RAINMAN said:

Using the guide for removing drives and rebuilding parity but I am stuck on this step:

In my options I dont have this selection.

image.png.b05a0f33e15a495e477858558aea4dd2.png

Which option(s) do I choose to just rebuild the parity drive with the existing data drives?

The reason you are stuck is a misinterpretation of what the selection options accomplish. That dialog just determines which slots stay populated with their current assignments temporarily, it doesn't finalize anything. There is another step after you choose an option from that list. So for your purposes, it would probably be easiest to select all, and then make your adjustments on the Main page of the GUI before you start the array.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

The reason you are stuck is a misinterpretation of what the selection options accomplish. That dialog just determines which slots stay populated with their current assignments temporarily, it doesn't finalize anything. There is another step after you choose an option from that list. So for your purposes, it would probably be easiest to select all, and then make your adjustments on the Main page of the GUI before you start the array.

Makes sense.  Figured it out now and rebuild in progress.  Thanks.