New build isn`t responding in the morning.

zodde

Hey!

As the topic reads, I have just built a new Unraid machine with new components. But now I have encountered problems, when I wake up the machine no longer responds. I have been looking for information on this and some have had problems with plugins that make it happen. But the plugins that caused this I have not installed. Others have had bad RAM, I've run memtest and no errors there.

Neither screen nor keyboard answer in the morning. It's stone dead. The drives gives no errors. Fix common problem gives nothing. I dont know where to look. The BIOS settings seems fine but not sure if there is any function need to be adjusted. I just dont know where to look

So, I am attaching just about everything that is wanted to troubleshoot this, say what I am trying to fix. Where do I start? The build is 6.7.2.

Edited by zodde
Adding, build and BIOS overview and no disc errors.
4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You want to go to Settings -> Syslog Server and set it up to store the syslog to a persistent location so you have a copy that survives a reboot (by default the syslog is only stored in RAM)

Alright. Make a share on another server monut it via SMB on the unraid that stop responding and put into syslogg server?

Just now, zodde said:

Alright. Make a share on another server monut it via SMB on the unraid that stop responding and put into syslogg server?

To keep it simple I would simply put on the Unraid server somewhere (the cache drive if you have one).   There is also the option to mirror it to the flash drive.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

To keep it simple I would simply put on the Unraid server somewhere (the cache drive if you have one).   There is also the option to mirror it to the flash drive.

Alright! Easy. I do that! :)

Ehm, Ports? Just leave as default?

Edited by zodde
4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Leave the ports at default.   You only need to fill in the IP address of the Unraid server to make it log to itself.

Okey, lets se if this is correct and then i have to see tomorrow what happend in the syslogg. The server with issue have ip .190. Is this correct then?

syslogg.png

Okey. It have happend. I was laying in the couch and watched a movie with my daughter, we could se like 10 min and then it just froze. I use PMS for this.

In the flash there is no syslogg folder like i put in syslogg server but i post what i think is right.

Hope its the right file..

Edit: Last night i stayed up late and did some work with clening stuff from the array i didnt need, I had Plex turned on on the tv to watch some tv show during the time. Since i kept the server active it didnt froze. I was up for 2-3 hours to fix the storage. Everything run smoth, but today when i was watching a movie i didnt keep the server busy. It have to be something with exactly that, but i need help to find out what in the syslogg.

syslog

Edited by zodde
Add more information.
4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Sounds like hardware to me. If you have multiple RAM sticks I'd pull one at a time and see if the symptoms change.

Alright, i think its some setting of some way actully, but havent ruled hardware out just yet. I only have one stick, one 16GB.

While this does sound like a hardware issue, I would first try booting the system in safe mode, disabling the use of all Plugins.  Then I would turn off all Docker containers and attempt using the system as just a basic NAS for a bit.  If no issues come up, slowly begin turning your apps on (including PMS) until you recreate the issue.  If you can't recreate the issue in safe mode, the culprit is likely one of the plugins you've installed.

In addition, I would hook up a monitor to the server and boot into the console GUI and run the following command before using the system:

tail /var/log/syslog -f

This will begin printing the log to the monitor.  Leave this up until the system hangs at which point you should take a pic of what's on the screen and post it back here.

If I was a betting man, I'd wager this is a hardware problem, as I see nothing in the logs to indicate software is to blame, but if there is a software issue, these are the paths to diagnosing it.

I will try that, when i have fixed my network issue. It started yesterday, i was gonna reset the network settings so i deleted /config/network.cfg there wasent any network-rules.cfg file.

I have send email to ASUS to ask if they can help me troubelshoot if it may be the MB issue here, i have read somewhere that when memtest craches and freeze just like my unraid does it have been fixed with newer firmware to correct this. Actully, it was exactlly a ASUS MB to that got it fixed with some help from ASUS. So iam hoping for the best here.

But right now, iam in troubel here, i reinstalled unraid to, perhaps stupied. But thought if i do that and dont install the damn plugins or maybe one by one with somedays inbeetween it will be all good. And I only installed the same plugins i allready have on my other server that have run for over one year now.  Some systemtemps, system buttons, system info, UD, Nerdtools to install Perl. But that it.

I cant reach my unraid from the network anymore. When i boot it up, all looks good exept: Boot agent GE v1.5.72 PXE-E05 The LAN adapters NVM config is corrupted or has not been initializer. The boot Agent cannot continue.  I have reset the BIOS settings but dosent change anything.

This looks more and more like a rigged game, no way to win.

I really hope that ASUS got a solution for all of this.

Thaks for all the help, i will post when i know more.

(Excuse for my poor english aswell :)

On 11/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, jonp said:

While this does sound like a hardware issue, I would first try booting the system in safe mode, disabling the use of all Plugins.  Then I would turn off all Docker containers and attempt using the system as just a basic NAS for a bit.  If no issues come up, slowly begin turning your apps on (including PMS) until you recreate the issue.  If you can't recreate the issue in safe mode, the culprit is likely one of the plugins you've installed.

In addition, I would hook up a monitor to the server and boot into the console GUI and run the following command before using the system:

tail /var/log/syslog -f

This will begin printing the log to the monitor.  Leave this up until the system hangs at which point you should take a pic of what's on the screen and post it back here.

If I was a betting man, I'd wager this is a hardware problem, as I see nothing in the logs to indicate software is to blame, but if there is a software issue, these are the paths to diagnosing it.

Well, i installed Windows on a ssd drive i had laying around to run som Hardware diagnostic program and all of it runs complete without any errors. I also run memtest86 yesterday on both RAM and CPU. No errors. Also, the server have been running all night so a hardware issue it is not, witch make me verry happy, but the question is still, what went wrong with UnRaid? I gonna start unraid up again today and buy a Plus key for this one and hope it goes with sucsess. I had some network issue and didnt get a ip before.

I read there was som issues with SanDisk Ultra fit, but i never had a problem with my other sever with the Ultra fit usb on that one, i also read that lime-tech uses Ultra fit usb to there pre configured usbs, i saw it on some forum yesterday. Also there is a problem where cant connect to the Web interface when using theese usb sticks.

Fingers crossed I end up with 2 functional Unraid`s today! :)

• 1 month later...

The issues are located and fixed. The first issue was that the server went to some kind of C-State, when that was fixed it stopped responding random, every time i didnt used the server it did not respond when i was gonna use it again. And also, it could stop responding when i was watching a movie with my kids, just like that. Turns out the m.2 drives i use as cache caused this, now with one Samsung 970 EVO PLUS it runs again, I have one more to put in and run the cache in a raid 1 pool. Problem solved!