How to set up network in unraid for 2 10gb and one gigabit connections

joenuno1

I am new to unraid and not sure if I’m setting up my network settings in unraid to the proper settings for 2 10 Gb connections and one gigabit connection. Have watched space invader one on YouTube but not totally sure that everything is set up properly. Connecting two computers directly to the unraid with the 10 Gb connections and the gigabit connection is for the network. Can I please get some help in the proper settings for this. 

12 hours ago, joenuno1 said:

I am new to unraid and not sure if I’m setting up my network settings in unraid to the proper settings for 2 10 Gb connections and one gigabit connection. Have watched space invader one on YouTube but not totally sure that everything is set up properly. Connecting two computers directly to the unraid with the 10 Gb connections and the gigabit connection is for the network. Can I please get some help in the proper settings for this. 

You need 3 seperate Networks

Example for a private Class-C networkrange:

NIC No. 1 goes to Computer 1 >> Network 1 (192.168.1.x)

NIC No. 2 goes to Computer 2 >> Network 2 (192.168.2.x)

NIC No. 3 goes to the switch >> Network 3 (192.168.3.x)

SubnetMask must be 255.255.255.0

You can also do this over the Adress 10.0.0.0

This is a large private Class-A networkrange and you can use various SubnetMask-settings.

Adress 10.x.x.x with Subnetmask 255.0.0.0 gives you "one" large Network > not suitable, because you need 3 networks.

Example 1:

10.0.1.x

10.0.2.x

10.0.3.x

Subnet-Mask 255.255.255.0

Example 2:

10.1.x.x

10.2.x.x

10.3.x.x

Subnet-Mask 255.255.0.0

Edited by Zonediver

Thank you very much for responding.  The pic included shows my current set up and it works somewhat, but is throwing issues of connecting to update server and getting update info on plug-ins and etc.  I'm sure this whole network setup is not optimal.  Can you suggest the best setup for the two 10gb connections with computers directly and the 1Gb network connection with my network? This is a small network with about 10 computers.  Will never be a very large network.  I really appreciate your time and suggestions.

Edited by joenuno1
added info
On 11/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, joenuno1 said:

Thank you very much for responding.  The pic included shows my current set up and it works somewhat, but is throwing issues of connecting to update server and getting update info on plug-ins and etc.  I'm sure this whole network setup is not optimal.  Can you suggest the best setup for the two 10gb connections with computers directly and the 1Gb network connection with my network? This is a small network with about 10 computers.  Will never be a very large network.  I really appreciate your time and suggestions.

See the screenshots.

eth0 is the NIC which is connected to the switch (1GBit) with access to the internet (gateway and DNS is set).

eth1 is the connection between the server and the pc (10GBit - no internet access, no gateway and no DNS).

Both NICs have static IPs and eth1 has no DNS or gateway settings because its a peer-to-peer link between both computers.

Your setting is confusing... set "all" NICs on the server side to static and give them a proper IP.

Again: Every NIC needs his own seperated network - so you need 3 adresses in 3 different networks.

Example for IPs:

Network 1: Server 192.168.1.1 - PC1 192.168.1.2 (peer to peer link 1, NO inet access)

Network 2: Server 192.168.2.1 - PC2 192.168.2.2 (peer to peer link 2, NO inet access)

Network 3: Server 192.168.3.1 >> switch and the whole LAN with inet access (adress range 192.168.3.1 - 192.168.3.254)

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0 (24)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

eth0.jpg

eth1.jpg

Edited by Zonediver
8 hours ago, joenuno1 said:

Thank you so much.  I'll set this up tomorrow.  I'm great with windows and mac, so this is my first time with unraid/linux.  just wanted to make sure.  Thanks!

You are welcome 😉

The "system behind" is the same on every os - only the "howto" is different.

REMARK: Dont forget to set also static IPs for both PCs!

Reason: There is no DHCP-server on this two networks - they are only a "direct connection" between both machines so the IPs must be static too.

Edited by Zonediver