[SOLVED] VM will not start when a docker image is running -

rorton

Been messing about with VM's all day, and at the moment I have a problem starting KVM. 

If I reboot the machine, all is fine, kvm starts. If I stop KVM, and then restart it, the VMs tab appears, but clicking on it gives me a Libvirt Service failed to start error. 

in the system log I get the error /mnt/cache/vms/system/libvirt/libvirt.img is in-use, cannot mount

If I disable docker, then start KVM, that works ok.

If I enable docker, but don't enable any containers - that's also OK,

but if I start a container, then I get this problem. 

Any idea why this happens?

nas-diagnostics-20191110-0031.zip

Edited by rorton
uploaded diag files

I uninstalled snmp plugin as suggested and that seems to have resolved it

i uninstalled it, then started one docker container at a time, started kvm to check, proved good, so stopped kvm, started the next docker (keeping the first going) and went through that with all of the containers and they are running, and i can stop kvm and the start again with no error. 

thanks for the advice on that, would never have put it down to a plug in, I’ve had snmp running for a long time, although there are problems with it, as the system won’t start it on boot, I have to reinstall it every time I boot

On 11/9/2019 at 6:06 PM, rorton said:

I have to reinstall it every time I boot

Weird, that doesn't happen for me! I also don't run any VMs or Docker though, so perhaps I'm missing some edge case there. What do plugins' installations have to do with KVM and Docker startup? 

On 11/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, Squid said:

because @kubed_zero has the plugin attempting to download the png and an auxillary script for it every time it installs (and at boot time the network is nowhere near running yet) instead of including those downloads within the ,plg itself

I'd be happy to push an update to include the images in the .plg file if I can find a way to do that! Or add a delay to the installation before trying to make a network call. Do you have any documentation or sample plugins that have this behavior that I could follow? I'm not sure how it would make a difference though, doesn't the plugin also need to download the SNMP package every time it installs, which also needs the network to be established? I took a quick look through the logs of @rorton  and saw the image network failure but didn't see how that failure related to the libvirt.img in use error.

Thanks!