Unusual temperature reading in unRAID Dashboard

Hi, even when my server just boots up it's CPU temp is always unusually high (does not feel this hot that's for sure). I've replaced the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver, but it didn't change a thing. 

I've had some server instability issues, which are currently unresolved unless my system remains stable. I've replaced the RAM and GPU. The next thing may be the CPU (the Ryzen from this period are prone to some sort of SEGV issue, but for the life of me I can't get any of the tests to work, so AMD won't RMA it before I can prove it's the issue). 

I've been ignoring this temperature issue, but it could play a part in this?

cpu temp.PNG

3 hours ago, mcjfauser said:

CPU temp is always unusually high (does not feel this hot that's for sure)

How are you measuring its temperature? The 95 degC shown in your screenshot is clearly wrong.

Have you changed the Power Supply Idle Control option in the BIOS to Typical Current Idle? If your CPU doesn't fail the kill-ryzen.sh test then it doesn't have the segmentation fault bug. What is its date code?

10 hours ago, John_M said:

How are you measuring its temperature? The 95 degC shown in your screenshot is clearly wrong.

Have you changed the Power Supply Idle Control option in the BIOS to Typical Current Idle? If your CPU doesn't fail the kill-ryzen.sh test then it doesn't have the segmentation fault bug. What is its date code?

Kitchen infrared thermometer. I can tell it's way off given how hot it reads off the bat when it's only just booted.

At the moment I've had near record stabality for some reason, so I'll hold off from changing any BIOS settings for now. I will give that a go when I do reboot though, thank you.

The temperature that the built-in sensors measure is of the silicon die itself, below the metal heat spreader. The temperature of the bulk of the heatsink mounted on top will be substantially lower than that. In addition to the sensors built into the CPU there are various other temperature sensors on the motherboard, such as underneath the CPU socket. The question is, which of these sensors is being read and used by the OS to produce the temperature display in the Dashboard? I don't know what's used by default but if you open up a terminal session and type

sensors

you should get some indication of which sensors (and their current values) can be read. There's a plugin called Dynamix System Temperature that you can install, which provides a simple means of scanning for temperature/voltage/fan speed sensors and loading the appropriate drivers, if available. It might be worth giving it a try.