Full file access log on SMB shares on unRAID, is it possible?

4 hours ago, nicomedia said:

I'm deploying unRAID for a company

1st question. Are you one of the principles of said company?

2nd question. If not a principle, are you a permanent long time employee of the company?

If not, then I don't think unraid is a good fit, regardless of whether you can get the logging you want to work. The amount of ongoing knowledgeable support needed to keep an unraid server healthy and happy is not something that lends itself well to an outside vendor or 3rd party.

22 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

1st question. Are you one of the principles of said company?

2nd question. If not a principle, are you a permanent long time employee of the company?

If not, then I don't think unraid is a good fit, regardless of whether you can get the logging you want to work. The amount of ongoing knowledgeable support needed to keep an unraid server healthy and happy is not something that lends itself well to an outside vendor or 3rd party.

I'm their only IT person, it's a really small company with just 8 employees, each having their own computer.

They want a file server to keep company files on and that's why they want the logging, because they had some files tampered with/deleted by employees, both by mistake and intentionally.

Try googling   samba logging options    and see if that has some information that you are looking for.   (Samba is the name of the SMB client/server software that is used by Linux.   SMB is the name that Microsoft has applied to their Network file sharing protocol and I believe they have a trademark on it.  You can read about its history and background here:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#History  )

You should also be looking at using the Secure and Private options that Unraid has to control who has read-only privileges and who has read-write privileges on each share.  This can prevent folks who have need to read as opposed to those who need read-write.  From your description, I would not use Secure but Private.  Each individual would have his own login and on each share, he would be allowed no-access, read-only or read-write. 

Edited by Frank1940