Feature Request- Option for "Least Used" for Allocation Method on Shares

Jhp612

Current Unraid supports three types of allocation methods-

1. High-Water

2. Fill-Up

3.  Most Free

I would l like to suggest a fourth. option of "Least Used". Here is the use case .

Example use case- 

Assumption I have multiple drives of varying sizes and I want to spread out my writes across my drives so I dont have IO bottlenecks/contention. 

1. Assume I download 10 movies. 

2. If I have 10 data drives in Plex I would like a movie per drive to spread out my IO requirements when people go to watch those movies simultaneously.

3. If my. drives are varying sizes I can not do this outside of manually moving the data around via unbalance or cmd line. If they are the. same size the "most free" allocation method would be fine. this is. a key difference 
4. With "least used", all my drives will get to a state where they have the same used capacity and then can split those file across the drives when mover is invoked.

PROS:

optimizes for minimizing IO contention

Assuming "HOT" data is the latest data we can. get the best performance. of the system 

CONS:

is expensive from a power perspective since all drives are spun up 

no guarantee that the files will distribute "perfectly" although you have a reasonable expectation for this where you have large files 

At the end of the day I think supporting the above for "Hot Files" and support some type of storage policy that targets specifics disks for cold data is ideal (eg. move data that is older than 1 year to a single disk and spin down that disk) 

• 1 month later...