Intel i5 9600k Stuck at 800Mhz

Greetings folks,

My cpu will not change from 800Mhz. High load, low load, no load, it does not matter. Searching has turned up a number of posts about BIOS settings not allowing cpu scaling to work. I have been trying anything I am finding but after 8 hours of fiddling I am no closer to a resolution. I ask for help.

All the cpu related speed settings are enabled in BIOS. Originally they were set to Auto.
Tips and Tricks app is installed. Set to Performance and Turbo is enabled.

CPU Frequency Scaling

Driver: Intel Pstate

Governor: Performance

Hardware listed in signature.

9600kfooked.jpg

Thanks Benson,

There was a newer BIOS available. Updated to it now. All power plugs on the motherboard have power. I booted to safe mode with the same 800Mhz result. Interestingly though, after the BIOS flash it reset all the BIOS settings to default and the landing page in the BIOS shows the CPU as 800Mhz. So, I sent off a ticket to Gigabyte asking if that is correct and for some help.

However, I am still working the issue myself and would love any insights or suggestions.

4 hours ago, Speedious said:

Thanks Benson,

There was a newer BIOS available. Updated to it now. All power plugs on the motherboard have power. I booted to safe mode with the same 800Mhz result. Interestingly though, after the BIOS flash it reset all the BIOS settings to default and the landing page in the BIOS shows the CPU as 800Mhz. So, I sent off a ticket to Gigabyte asking if that is correct and for some help.

However, I am still working the issue myself and would love any insights or suggestions.

Weird still 800Mhz, likely hardware issue.

Recently, Gigabyte have big change on their BIOS GUI (Intel) outlook.

Edited by Benson
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Spies said:

Can you try installing windows and see if the CPU ramps up correctly?

I thought about doing this. Gigabyte support is Windows centric. Possible but I am using the system as my router and other network functions. Be a pain in the ass.

20 hours ago, John_M said:

Has it always been like this or has the problem only recently arisen? Is the CPU heatsink/fan working?

I assume always. Since setup I have seen high CPU usage from pfSense, Plex, and Deluge. I jumped to the 6.8rc5 UnRaid to get the newer Linux kernel for the iGPU support. Also, finally threw in Pearl to get the temp sensors working. I finally saw that the temps would not change. 2% or 100% the CPU would sit at 30C or 31C. First clue something was not right.

19 hours ago, Benson said:

Weird still 800Mhz, likely hardware issue.

Recently, Gigabyte have big change on their BIOS GUI (Intel) outlook.

I may just overclock the CPU. Set it at like 4.5Ghz all cores and be done with this nonsense.

(Boost is 4.6 single core and 4.3 all core)

9600kfooked2.jpg

Alright. Alright. Alright.

The 9600k would not change speeds. Even disabling all boost or dynamic clock features, setting the ratio, and disabling all the power modes it just stays at 800Mhz.

After getting in touch with Gigabyte and Intel the solution was to swap my 8700k in to the Z390 system and swap the 9600k in to my Z370 system. 8700k came up at 805Mhz in the Z390 UnRaid system and the 9600k worked perfectly in the Z370 system. So, bad motherboard. I got it from Amazon Warehouse. Probably a return or exchange. I save the money but paid in time to troubleshoot. 

I did learn that basically nobody has tech support for hardware in Linux. I will have to keep a spare drive around with a Windows install on it to do barebones/baremetal tech support with.

Thank you everyone for the assistance!

• Like 1