My X9SCM-F contains PCIe x8 only, but I want to install a graphic card, what should I do?

PzrrL

I am currently owning a X9SCM-F motherboard, I did not thought I would install a graphic card to my Unraid but now I have a spare card and would like to install it as well.

The problem is, my GTX 970 is x16, but the motherboard is only having x8 slot. Should I buy sth like the following? Will there be any compatibility issue? And another thing: If I am going to install one of this, how should I install in the computer case? Mine is a Node 804, just a side question but your inspiration helps! Thanks!

O1CN01WLp6dQ1FdcVAYh7y5_!!3536100510.png

That flexible type of adapter is one option. The only way I can see it fitting is in the last slot of a micro-ATX motherboard mounted in an oversize case, with the graphics card positioned in a location beyond the edge of the motherboard. StarTech makes a variety of rigid adapters, like this one, that adapts a low profile graphics card to fit in a full height slot while changing the number of lanes, though in the example it is a x1 to x16 adapter, not a x8 to x16. The other option is to cut either the motherboard socket or the edge connector of the graphics card. Some motherboards actually have open ended sockets but if not one can relatively safely be opened up using a Dremel-type tool. If you don't want to risk damage to an expensive motherboard you could measure and cut the edge connector of the card. Only a narrow notch is needed to make it fit. None of the solutions is entirely satisfactory but one might fit your use case better than the others.

Edited by John_M
Fixed link
8 minutes ago, PzrrL said:

Do you mean I have to break the golden fingers part into half in order to fit into the slot on motherboard?😰

Yes some will cut away the contacts but I would go the easier of the 2 routes and just cut the back of the x8 slot go on youtube there are plenty of videos about it, if you cut the GPU and one day you decide to upgrade your mobo your card will still have the x16 capability and I only recommend this if for certain the ribbon cable option will not work for you I'm not familiar with your case but with the cable you may be able to mount it vertically as that is a common use for those cables