wsdd 100% using 1 core

@scubieman I have seen this (wsdd at 100% on 1 core or thread) twice as well.  In both cases, as expected, a reboot fixed it. 

It happened when I had an Acronis backup running which backs up a PC/laptop to my unRAID server.  The core/thread changes but one remains pegged at 100% even when the backup completes.  A reboot is require to clear it.

I actually had a bug report ready to go and did not post as I want to gather more info and confirm it only happens during backup.  The last time I saw this was three days ago, but another backup is scheduled for tonight.

Since it is wsdd, this is only a 6.8.0-RC issue.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 1 month later...

I wonder what triggers the bug to cause wsdd to peg 1 cpu. I ran across this tonight on 6.8 Stable. About the only thing I have running using Samba from other systems is 1 Win10 system that does media scans using 'media center master'.

I looked through the syslog but didn't find anything related to it nor any indications of things going sideways, so I didnt gather diagnostics. Instead I disabled WS-Discovery option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any fix that doesn't kill browsing for windows machines? This has been ongoing for months..... kinda sucks that I basically don't have access to one of my CPU cores for VMs/Containers/etc...  Is this a more generic SMB problem or something unraid specific?

10 hours ago, mindedc said:

Is this a more generic SMB problem or something unraid specific?

I don't think Limetech had anything to do with the development of the wsd daemon.  Since the problem only occurs when wsdd is running, the problem lies either with the daemon itself, or an interaction with wsdd and some other driver or kernel module.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had this same thing, although killing the VM didn't resolve it. I then disabled each docker container in turn to see what it was, still nothing. Then finally disabled docker, then enabled it again and it quietened down. First time its happened for me though, so could just be a one time thing. I did also have a container that corrupted on me and I had to re-install it not long before this behaviour started.

1 hour ago, clinkydoodle said:

I just had this same thing, although killing the VM didn't resolve it. I then disabled each docker container in turn to see what it was, still nothing. Then finally disabled docker, then enabled it again and it quietened down. First time its happened for me though, so could just be a one time thing. I did also have a container that corrupted on me and I had to re-install it not long before this behaviour started.

Try this:

I have this same problem, wsdd process pegging one of the CPU's.

Simply changing any one of the parameters on the Shares tab results in the problem going away for a few hours.

I am running Version 6.8.3 2020-03-05

I have made some changes recently but I don't see why that would be a cause.

I am slowly backing out my changes to see if I can isolate it.

Need an effective fix for this.

I too had this issue for the last few days.

Used TOP to get process ID, then killed it, than typed WSDD

Windows network locations showed back up after restarting typing just WSDD, or, that did nothing, and it automagically starts back up.

Hopefully, it stays normal

• Thanks 1