Rebuild nothing..

zeyoner

Here's my situation..

Unraid 6.7.2

4x10TB - Data

2x512GB - Cache

Drives are encrypted

As of late I've been receiving errors on two (Disk 1 & 3) of the 4 hard drives. I've had to rebuild four times already. Disk1 is the only drive with data. I decided to remove the two drives in question and re-use disk2 as disk1. I did a new config preserving the cache. Powered down and removed disk1 & 3. Booted up checked the box stating the parity drive is good. Disk2 now being used as disk1 was then added to the array as disk1 which then needed to be formatted and rebuilt. I used the same passphase to unlock the drive. After 14 hours of rebuild all of my docker containers are gone and so is my data. I have one folder which I assume was moved from cache.

I still have the original disk1 untouched however I do not have a keyfile even though I know the passphase. Please tell me there's light at the end of this forsaken tunnel!

9 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Should be.

Yes, as long as disk1 is healthy.

Disk1 has been kicking back an error although it rebuilds and functions for days then kicks an error causing me to have to rebuild. Man I can't wait to get home and rebuild that parity. So moving forward how should I go about doing this?

1. Stop array
  2. Power off
  3. Remove disk1 (disk2)
  4. Insert disk1
  5. Power on
  6. Here's where I get a bit confused
  7. New Config (Preserving Cache)
  8. Add same parity
  9. Add disk1
  10. Start Array with correct passphase
  11. Allowing Unraid to rebuild parity

Will it rebuild parity and leave disk1 as is?

Edited by zeyoner
1 minute ago, zeyoner said:

Will it rebuild parity and leave disk1 as is?

Yes, just make sure you don't assigned old disk1 to parity slot, and don't check parity is already valid, only the disk assigned to the parity slot will be overwritten.

Unraid will ask for a new passphrase but just enter old one.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, just make sure you don't assigned old disk1 to parity slot, and don't check parity is already valid, only the disk assigned to the parity slot will be overwritten.

Unraid will ask for a new passphrase but just enter old one.

Thank the data hoarding gods! I will execute this once I get home. Thanks a lot Jorge!

In future, please ask on the forum before attempting to make any changes of any kind (add, remove, replace) in your disk assignments.

If you understand how parity works, and if you understand what format does, then you can figure these things out for yourself. But it seems most people don't even know what format does, much less how parity works.

I think that mistake is caused more by people not understanding the word "format", a word that everyone seems to think they understand, but really have no idea of what happens specifically. "Format" doesn't mean "get this disk ready to use (again)", whatever that might mean exactly.

Format means "write an empty filesystem to this disk". That is what it has always meant in every operating system you have ever used. Unraid treats that write operation just as it does any other, by updating parity. So after formatting a disk in the parity array, parity agrees the disk has an empty filesystem, and rebuilding a formatted disk from parity will result in an empty filesystem.

• Thanks 1