(SOLVED) Understanding what the mover is doing?

je82

Hello.

My settings as follows:

Allocation method: Fill-Up

Why is the mover writing and reading from 2 drives? It should only be hitting Drive 2 as per the Fill-Up ruleset, yet it is hitting Drive 2 and 4 when moving files from the cache to the array?

Why?

5i6h9al.png

How can i get help understanding the mover and why it is doing what it is doing, according to my understanding with the Fill-up ruleset the mover should be picking the next drive in "line" which has space above the minimum space grade set in the share, which is Disk 2 in this case.

Why is it doing stuff with disk 4?

Edited by je82
7 minutes ago, Squid said:

Split Level Settings?  Are all shares set to fill-up?  Include / Exclude Settings for the shares?  Include the diagnostics if in doubt

All shares have the same split setting, but i did apply the split setting a few hours ago, i did not restart/remount the array since the setting change, is this necessary?

Edited by je82
9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Split Level Settings?  Are all shares set to fill-up?  Include / Exclude Settings for the shares?  Include the diagnostics if in doubt

nvm i figured out what was going on, apparently there was some stuff on the cache that was queued for disk4 as they were transferred to cache before the split setting change.

Edited by je82
1 hour ago, je82 said:

there was some stuff on the cache that was queued for disk4

That isn't how it works. Files aren't destined eventually to end up on any particular disk when they are written to cache. The destination is decided when the mover runs. Split level takes precedence over allocation method.

5 hours ago, John_M said:

That isn't how it works. Files aren't destined eventually to end up on any particular disk when they are written to cache. The destination is decided when the mover runs. Split level takes precedence over allocation method.

then i have no idea why it is involing drive4, as i have "Automatically split any directory as required" as split method, that being said the folder in question being written to already exist on both drive 2 and 4, but according to allocation method set it should no longer involve drive 4?

whenever a disk write becomes quad, that it is read/writing from 2 drives and then as i do have 2 parity drives it's insanely slow, as you can see below 20mb/s also smb becomes nearly unresponsive during this time yet web interface runs absolutely smooth which is sort of strange. I hear upgrading to the release candidate may eliviate a lot of the stress of having 2 parity drives but i'm not fully confident in my unraid skills to deal with whatever mess it may cause so i am waiting for the stable build.