What happens when drives in a disk shelf aren't detected at boot?

drumstyx

I've finally gotten my DS4243 working with unraid, and I'm about to add my first disk that lives in the shelf to the array.

I had a thought though, as I was checking out the UPS load settings (I'll need a bigger UPS now, but that's another matter). Right now, when power fails, it'll initiate a shutdown as necessary, then shut off the UPS, and when power is restored, it'll come back up.

But what if the disk shelf takes longer to boot than unraid? (unlikely, but a thought). Will the array fail to start completely because of missing disks? Or will it keep trying to detect and start the array? 

If it's set to autostart it will fail with a "too many missing disks" error. The work-around would be to prevent the server from restarting automatically when power is restored. It's much better to start it manually after an outage because you can wait a while until you are confident that the power is not likely to drop out again. Remember that your system is vulnerable at this point, with partially depleted batteries and quite possibly insufficient capacity to allow for another controlled shutdown. Ideally you would wait until the UPS has fully charged but I can't imagine many people being willing to do that!

4 minutes ago, John_M said:

If it's set to autostart it will fail with a "too many missing disks" error. The work-around would be to prevent the server from restarting automatically when power is restored. It's much better to start it manually after an outage because you can wait a while until you are confident that the power is not likely to drop out again. Remember that your system is vulnerable at this point, with partially depleted batteries and quite possibly insufficient capacity to allow for another controlled shutdown. Ideally you would wait until the UPS has fully charged but I can't imagine many people being willing to do that!

Let's assume I'm willing to wait as long as it takes to guarantee stability when it comes back up -- are there any settings to tweak this? Ideally "wait for UPS power above x%, then start", but I'd settle for a "wait x seconds before array start on every boot"

19 minutes ago, drumstyx said:

wait x seconds before array start on every boot

If you really want, you can add a line in /config/go (flash drive) before the line that says emhttp of

sleep 30

which will sleep for 30 seconds before starting the gui (and attempting to start the array)

That being said, you SAS controller would be the best place to tweak any settings, etc (if it offers any) or in any commands the shelf offers.