How to Restore VMs from Previous Unassigned Drive

Auggie

@Auggie The "libvirt.img" you can find in the default domain share contains all your VM xml and BIOS files. Depending on how you have setup this share before, search for that file. It should be on the array if you never used a cache before. Check if you maybe have multiple folders containing that file on the array drives and the cache drive. Or restore it from an backup if you have.

10 hours ago, bastl said:

@Auggie The "libvirt.img" you can find in the default domain share contains all your VM xml and BIOS files. Depending on how you have setup this share before, search for that file. It should be on the array if you never used a cache before. Check if you maybe have multiple folders containing that file on the array drives and the cache drive. Or restore it from an backup if you have.

It was on the original cache drive, which I upgraded to a larger one and had copied over all of its contents.  I had even reselected the libvert location on the "new" cache share, but the VMs still did not show.  Unfortunately, UnRAID was also getting errors opening the libvert.img file which prevented VM daemon/application from starting, so I tossed it, not knowing it contained the actual settings of the VMs themselves, and redownloaded a new version which solved the errors and allowed the VM module to start.

When I get home I'll check to see if the libvert.img file is still available on the original cache drive which I don't believe I touched or reformatted.

11 hours ago, bastl said:

"libvirt.img" you can find in the default domain share

I have to correct myself. The libvirt.img is located in "/mnt/user/system/libvirt" not the "domain" share. Sorry, my bad.

If there is no libvirt.img file inside that share Unraid will create a new empty one when enabling the VM-Manager. If you still have the old one you can easily restore it by disabling the VM-Manger first and than copying it over.

Well, for some reason the libvirt.img on my original cache drive got corrupted beyond accessibility and repair, so I bit the bullet to resinstall an Ubuntu VM from scratch.  But lo and behold, after creating a new VM, downloading the latest Ubuntu and firing it all up, my original Ubuntu VM was started ; it appears all my files and settings are still intact.

Whew!  Apparently, since I had the original vDisk that wasn't corrupted, UnRAID's VM module simply launched it without wiping and installing a clean system.

All is well again...

Edited by Auggie