New Router, Can No Longer See Shares As Network Drives

Ran into a bit of a hiccup (first in 3 years with Unraid). I had to swap my router yesterday and for some reason I am no longer able to view my shares in the windows network. I had all my shares mapped as drives with a letter for ease but now I can't see them even in the network list.

More curious is that I can no longer access my server by name (\SERVERNAME) in Explorer, though it IS still accessible by IP address in an internet window (though I can no longer access it there by server name either). 

I have seen the many posts floating around about SMB settings and making the NAS the master, however this was all working perfectly fine until I changed my router yesterday, so I'm certain it likely has to do with that.  That said, I'm not really sure what to be looking at for a fix.

Oh, I should add, this in no way is affecting Plex from being able to see the shares and read from them. It's only windows network.

Thanks in advance for any help.

First thing to try would be power down all the devices, then bring them up one at a time, starting with the router.

1. Shut down unraid, all pc's in the house, then unplug the router.

2. Bring up the router, wait for it to completely connect, then power on unraid, let it boot, power on computers one at a time, check to see if they can resolve the name.

Be sure to give things time to settle, sometimes windows can take a while to figure things out.

Thanks for this.  So, it's fixed, but I'm not sure what the fix was because like an idiot I did two things at once instead of one at a time.  It was either 1) a simple reboot on my main machine (hadn't rebooted since router swap) or 2) Using others' advice and turning on SMB1.0 in the Windows Features.

I would turn SMB1.0 back off to test, but since it's working I'll let it ride.  Thanks for the quick response jonathan.

The old router maintained a non-volatile table of IP address reservations (most consumer routers / Internet modems do this). It does this so that the same IP address is assigned to the same MAC address (device) each time things are rebooted or power cycled. When you replaced the router, all those IP reservations are gone, and you get reassigned (likely different) IP addresses for the various devices on your network as the new router finds various devices and assigns them IP addresses (assuming it's running as DHCP master, which is usually default in consumer devices).

However you may have told your browser to look for the Unraid GUI on a specific IP address (for example via a bookmark), which is no longer the right IP address. Similarly, Windows is looking for SMB files which are now at a different IP addresses.  Rebooting the Windows computers causes them eventually to find the new IP addresses, and it can then figure things out. Your browser (or browser bookmark) [probably] doesn't know how to find the new IP address, and you may have to manually enter that.

-- Tom

• Like 1

When you swap out  a router, you usually have to reboot all of the computers on the network.  If, for no other reason, to make sure you don't have two computers with the same IP address.

EDIT: Way back in the dark ages, you had to manually assign static IP addresses to everything on the physical network (remembering 10BASE2 hardware).  That was fun as the administrator had to keep of them to make sure each address was unique. 

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1