Seaking advice on upgrades

rbh00723

So i currently have 3 storage drives in my machine. One 4TB for the parity, another 4TB as main storage drive and a 2TB for "overflow".  

I've been considering upgrading to 8TB drives as they are the cheapest $/GB option. Now I thought i heard something to the extent that if you use for instance 2 or more matching data drives you can set them up in a sort of "RAID 0" Type of configuration to increase speed/throughput. I wonder if anybody has heard of this.

Possible planed config

Parity

8TB WD RED

Data drives

2X 8TB drives

2X 4TB Drives

2X 2TB Drive

So the point here is can I "link" a share across 2 drives for increased speeds?

9 hours ago, rbh00723 said:

So suppose I do that is there any kind of redundancy ?

Only that afforded by the specific RAID level you choose.

https://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/

Keep in mind that BTRFS is still a developing file system, some RAID levels are more well tested and stable than others. Do your research before committing yourself.

Also, RAID, unraid, whatever, are NOT backups. Disk redundancy is there for high availability when a drive dies. It does nothing to prevent file corruption or deletion, accidental or otherwise. A solid backup strategy for anything valuable is still necessary.

Only that afforded by the specific RAID level you choose.
https://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/
Keep in mind that BTRFS is still a developing file system, some RAID levels are more well tested and stable than others. Do your research before committing yourself.

Also, RAID, unraid, whatever, are NOT backups. Disk redundancy is there for high availability when a drive dies. It does nothing to prevent file corruption or deletion, accidental or otherwise. A solid backup strategy for anything valuable is still necessary.
Any value minded suggestions? Something like a single large external drive and a pi? I've wanted to tinker with rsync. I want to set up the pi at an offsite location like my friends house (I don't make enough$ to afford cloud backups on that scale).

Also wanted to learn about setting up a "recycling bin" of sorts for that occasional accidental deletion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk