(SOLVED) Strange behavior during disk replacement

o0X0o

Hi all,

Summer is upon us down under, and I've recently started receiving temperature alerts for some of my drives during the day. Today one drive was appearing as offline, so I threw in a new one to begin the replacement process, but the rebuild process is reporting heaps of errors:

image.thumb.png.94fd87ff3980e8f8f476173cf566b404.png

I haven't really shown my unraid server much love in a while, and I'm not exactly up to speed anymore. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Appreciate any feedback on what's going on, and if I need to be taking any particular action.

Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20191116-1306.zip

Thanks Squid, really not sure what's going on... some ageing gear in there... Noticed a lot of beeping during startup (which would eventually stop - maybe because drives would spin down), but it didn't seem to match mobo error codes I found online.

So I have been mucking around endlessly with cables, splitters and PS, and have seen everything including 0 drives spin up. Right now I think I am closest to a working system, but the one offline drive is not the one I thought...

Where I had previously been trying to replace Disk 3, I now cannot get Disk 2 going... however other drives connected to the same power/data cables are fine, so I think that's the worst drive.

Disk 3 is what I had previously thought I needed to replace, and the rebuild process ran for a bit but never completed. I put the original Disk 3 back and assigned the new drive to Disk 2, but now I get "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!".

Can I just run 'new config' or do I risk data loss?

image.png.48895d4f4c965d7d38dd92de71760314.png

Any thoughts or feedback on this one? I think I might have had a power supply problem as well as at least one dying drive.

As above, I have put the original Disk 3 back and am thinking of using the new drive that I purchased (and which I had started to use to replace Disk 3), to replace Disk 2 instead.

Just seems odd that I'm getting the 'too many wrong disks' warning, and can't start the array, and I am unsure whether to initiate 'new config'... 

Thanks in advance.

You can't put back original disk while disk status is invalid, you can do this, assuming parity is still valid with old disk3:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including old disk3 and new disk2
-Important - After checking the assignments leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type (don't copy/paste directly from the forum, as sometimes it can insert extra characters):

mdcmd set invalidslot 2 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box (GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the invalid slot command, but they won't be as long as the procedure was correctly done), disk2 will start rebuilding, disk should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check

Keep old disk2 intact for now in case it's needed.

• Thanks 1
  • o0X0o changed the title to (SOLVED) Strange behavior during disk replacement