Unraid suddenly stopped responding during format of drive

je82

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

Everything else reports the same high usage for disk 10.

Please check if something has been written to the disk by verifying its contents.

nothing is written to disk 10, i also formated 2x12tb drives using 6.8.0 and they are both taking up 83gb filesystem, i believe this is also way more then it is suppose to be, that's it... im downgrading and doing the formats because once i put data on these drives i cannot format again.

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The rule is 1 GB file system storage per 1 TB disk storage, e.g. 8TB disk = 8GB fs and 12TB disk = 12GB fs.

There have been some updates to XFS in the kernel, but I don't know if this causes the high numbers you are seeing.

downgraded and now unraid is telling me these xfs systems formated with 6.8.0 needs to be encrypted, definitely some bug in the rc release.

image.thumb.png.b245f1e80fe425814d56db72460fbee4.png

All 3 drive were all xfs encrypted when i was on 6.8.0-rc6. Formating now via 6.7.2 stable.

• 11 months later...

I've got 3 empty 8TB drives. 1 shows 8GB used as expected for the XFS filesystem. 2 others show 55.8GB used. I've checked via all methods I know of. SMB, Krusader, Linux command line, unbalanced tool. These disks are all empty but 2 are using an extra 47GB or so for the filesystem exactly as mentioned here in this thread. I did format some of these recently in RC 6.9 but I'm not sure exactly which ones.

Any ideas on how I can free up this space?

Edited by Vaggeto
On 11/10/2020 at 1:45 AM, JorgeB said:

It's normal with current xfs, it uses more space for metadata, only option would be to format manually or with and older Unraid release.

Hmmm interesting. That's a big jump in usage for metadata. Do you know what additional functionality that brings? I see earlier in this thread that was thought to be a clear error.