Spin down SAS drives

doron

This has been discussed in other threads, e.g. here, but I didn't find an entry in Feature Requests so here goes.

Unraid is not spinning down SAS drives. It appears to try, and the GUI indicates that the drive is spun down (with a grey ball and temp not being presented), but in reality these drives keep spinning, remaining warm and drawing full power, 24x7.

The problem seems to be that hdparm, which is used to spin down drives, does not affect SAS drives.

A solution might be to use the sg_start command (haven't tested this thoroughly but it seems to be doing the right thing):

sg_start -s /dev/sdX <== spin up
sg_start -S /dev/sdX <== spin down

(unfortunately the above does not seem to do the right thing unto SATA drives, so we'll either need to have conditional logic, or maybe just run both tools in sequence for each spindown/spinup operation.)

I'm sure adding SAS spindown capability will be met with massive gratitude from a lot of us.

EDIT 2020-09-20: A temporary stopgap solution is now available, you can get it here.

EDIT 2020-09-29: The temporary solution is now available as a plugin. You can install the plugin from this URL.

Edited by doron
Plugin added
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 9:51 AM, doron said:

This has been discussed in other threads, e.g. here, but I didn't find an entry in Feature Requests so here goes.

Unraid is not spinning down SAS drives. It appears to try, and the GUI indicates that the drive is spun down (with a grey ball and temp not being presented), but in reality these drives keep spinning, remaining warm and drawing full power, 24x7.

The problem seems to be that hdparm, which is used to spin down drives, does not affect SAS drives.

A solution might be to use the sg_start command (haven't tested this thoroughly but it seems to be doing the right thing):

sg_start -s /dev/sdX <== spin up
sg_start -S /dev/sdX <== spin down

(unfortunately the above does not seem to do the right thing unto SATA drives, so we'll either need to have conditional logic, or maybe just run both tools in sequence for each spindown/spinup operation.)

I'm sure adding SAS spindown capability will be met with massive gratitude from a lot of us.

Nice!  Somehow I never knew about that 'sg_start' command - indeed looks like will do the trick. thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, tah said:

Maybe use some user script to solve the problem for now?

That might be a bit tricky. I thought about wrapping hdparm as a stopgap hack, but for most spinup/down actions Unraid does not call the userland hdparm program - it uses its kernel code (and /proc/mdcmd) to issue the relevant ATA command to the drive. Frontending that interface would be a more intrusive hack. Also, there doesn't seem to be an "Event" script upcall for spinup / spindown event (there's a thought...).

Let's hope @limetech adds this capability to core Unraid Soon.

Sorry, I didn't see this thread. And I asked for the same. https://forums.unraid.net/topic/85673-sas-disks-spin-down-68-rc7/

I have installed version 6.8.0-rc7 that has support for sdparm. Of the 27 disks that I have in array 4 of them are SAS disks. But I can't spin-down
I was testing the sg_start command in both version 6.7.2 and 6.8-rc7, without satisfactory results. Execute the command without errors but no spin-down disks.
If needed I can help you as a tester for your developments

Thanks.

1 minute ago, jvdivx said:

I was testing the sg_start command in both version 6.7.2 and 6.8-rc7, without satisfactory results. Execute the command without errors but no spin-down disks.

Interesting. When you say the disk did not spin down - how did you test that hasn't actually spun down?

51 minutes ago, doron said:

Interesting. When you say the disk did not spin down - how did you test that hasn't actually spun down?

Because the disk server LED does not go out, I also see the active disk in grafana.

C1.JPG

image.png.3e5016e2664bcf1c6ce3b24e4f66a84d.png

SYSLOG:

image.png.cc9e4ca3622689d114f68031b0709921.png

Edited by jvdivx

I must add, this doesn't seem to work for me, on typing the command sg_start --stop /dev/sdg I get the following in the log

Dec 2 15:55:31 Tower kernel: sd 13:0:2:0: [sdg] Spinning up disk...
Dec 2 15:55:42 Tower kernel: ...........ready
Dec 2 15:55:42 Tower kernel: sdg: sdg1

1 hour ago, Spies said:

I must add, this doesn't seem to work for me, on typing the command sg_start --stop /dev/sdg I get the following in the log

Dec 2 15:55:31 Tower kernel: sd 13:0:2:0: [sdg] Spinning up disk...
Dec 2 15:55:42 Tower kernel: ...........ready
Dec 2 15:55:42 Tower kernel: sdg: sdg1

The unsuccessful result of launching the command on my system is the following:

sg_start --stop /dev/sdda

Dec 2 17:56:11 jvdivx-unraid kernel: sd 2:1:44:0: [sdaa] Spinning up disk...

Dec 2 17:56:26 jvdivx-unraid kernel: .ready

Dec 2 17:56:26 jvdivx-unraid kernel: sdaa: detected capacity change from 10000831348736 to 0

Dec 2 17:56:26 jvdivx-unraid kernel: sd 2:1:44:0: [sdaa] 2441609216 4096-byte logical blocks: (10.0 TB/9.10 TiB)

Dec 2 17:56:26 jvdivx-unraid kernel: sdaa: detected capacity change from 0 to 10000831348736

Dec 2 17:56:26 jvdivx-unraid kernel: sdaa: sdaa1

Dec 2 17:56:26 jvdivx-unraid kernel: sdaa: sdaa1

30 minutes ago, jvdivx said:

The unsuccessful result of launching the command on my system is the following:

Try adding -r option, this means 'readonly'.

SCSI is PITA - you can see why there hasn't been much appetite on my part to fix this.

<rant>

Why anyone would want to use SAS drives is beyond me - they are more expensive for nothing - only reason I can think of is someone got a "deal" on a bunch of them and now they want to use them (the reason there is a "deal" is because there is no demand for this tech).

</rant>

Anyway eventually might get this working.  Our issue is that we have a single SAS hard drive and that one appears to not work correctly, meaning constant timeouts, etc.  Not much appetite to go purchase a bunch of SAS gear either.

First phase of working on this will be to prevent Unraid from attempting spin-down on SAS drives - that will eliminate the syslog messages anyway.

<honest>

As you might imagine, we have much bigger things to work on that trying to get SAS working.

</honest>

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, limetech said:

Try adding -r option, this means 'readonly'.

SCSI is PITA - you can see why there hasn't been much appetite on my part to fix this.

<rant>

Why anyone would want to use SAS drives is beyond me - they are more expensive for nothing - only reason I can think of is someone got a "deal" on a bunch of them and now they want to use them (the reason there is a "deal" is because there is no demand for this tech).

</rant>

Anyway eventually might get this working.  Our issue is that we have a single SAS hard drive and that one appears to not work correctly, meaning constant timeouts, etc.  Not much appetite to go purchase a bunch of SAS gear either.

First phase of working on this will be to prevent Unraid from attempting spin-down on SAS drives - that will eliminate the syslog messages anyway.

<honest>

As you might imagine, we have much bigger things to work on that trying to get SAS working.

</honest>

With -r I got the same result. I planned to change the SATA drives to SAS drives. Much more reliable and faster.

17 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Source?

Among other things because I have system heating problems. And these disks withstand higher temperatures, they can work at more than 80º. In addition the life of these disk is much longer and are prepared for 24/7

I put a source where you compare SATA and SAS disks

https://www.diffen.com/difference/SATA_vs_Serial_Attached_SCSI

image.png.06b3d5cd2f67b53dbbfee9e360bd1072.png

Edited by jvdivx
6 hours ago, limetech said:

Yes, understood. 

There are good reasons to prefer SAS over SATA, although admittedly most of them(*) reside in the ballpark of enterprise computing as opposed to home / SOHO, where I'm guessing most of Unraid install base lives. (I'm a diehard veteran of the former, yet my Unraid is the latter, ergo...). I'll concede that in retrospect, I would have been be better off if my 12TB HGST's were SATA - if not for any other reason, for this spindown one.

(*) Much larger and more complex drive topologies, including multihomed and multi-tier connections and enclosures, faster bus transfer speeds (12Gb/s on SAS3), more reliable performance in the presence of those complex configurations, and more. Again - most/all reside in the enterprise computing realm.

That's a good start, yes. Thanks!

It is well understood and appreciated that you have bigger fish to fry at this time. Hence:

<plea>

Would you consider adding, on top of the above (not attempting to spin them down), an upcall hook - in the spirit of the EVENT scripts calls - for all spindown/spinup actions? This would allow those of us who are knee deep in this (and paying the electricity bills...) to script this up (currently this is Hard™ - as the action takes place in the kernel code). I will definitely take a stab - others might too. Once this is (hopefully) brushed up, you can consider adopting it into the core product. Does this make sense?

</plea>

Edited by doron
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, limetech said:

All HDD's do this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/blog/data-center/how-sas-near-line-nl-sas-and-sata-disks-compare/

In reliability, SAS disks are an order of magnitude safer than either NL-SAS or SATA disks. This metric is measured in bit error rate (BER), or how often bit errors may occur on the media. With SAS disks, the BER is generally 1 in 10^16 bits. Read differently, that means you may see one bit error out of every 10,000,000,000,000,000 (10 quadrillion) bits. By comparison, SATA disks have a BER of 1 in 10^15 (1,000,000,000,000,000 or 1 quadrillion).  Although this does make it seem that SATA disks are pretty reliable, when it comes to absolute data protection, that factor of 10 can be a big deal.

But admittedly for what we use unraid for, completely unnecessary.

Send me 3x 3TB SATA and I'll gladly send you these SAS drives 😂

Edited by Spies
4 minutes ago, Spies said:

Yeah a lot of marketing in there.  Maybe times have changed but "back in the day" when I was more directly involved in HDD tech, ATA/SCSI and later SATA/SAS HDA assemblies were all made in the same factories of which there are only a handful in the world.  The main differences had to do with electronics: how large of a RAM buffer, whether device was dual-ported, etc.  Maybe they screen the HDA's somehow to pick out the "best" ones (doubt it) but the BER mainly relates to length and cost of warranty.  The extra cost for "enterprise-class" devices made up for warranty replacement and then some.  That said, it's very possible I've become way too cynical and indeed there are measurable differences that justify the $high price tag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Spies said:

I believe that article is both quite dated (2/2012) and quite inaccurate. It compares things that should not really be compared; the SAS drives considered are the 10KRPM and 15KRPM little beasts, which are indeed very different animals than the 7.2KRPM spindles, in terms of actual drive technology. But this has little to do with SAS per se: They were manufactured only with SAS interfaces, simply because no home user would spend the $$$$ for these ultrafast, yet relatively lower capacity drives. Before SSDs became the rage, those critters have been your tier-1 storage of choice (e.g. cache).

When you compare apples to apples, e.g. 7.2KRPM 12TB enterprise-level drives, the difference is only in the attached electronics as @limetechsaid. You can actually buy the same drive and select your electronics. Case in point, check out this datasheet. Check the bottom for ordering options.

As mentioned above, the main differences lie with the bus protocol performance and extremely different configuration and topology options. Not the performance or reliability of the actual spindle.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 3:42 PM, doron said:

Would you consider adding, on top of the above (not attempting to spin them down), an upcall hook - in the spirit of the EVENT scripts calls - for all spindown/spinup actions? This would allow those of us who are knee deep in this (and paying the electricity bills...) to script this up (currently this is Hard™ - as the action takes place in the kernel code). I will definitely take a stab - others might too. Once this is (hopefully) brushed up, you can consider adopting it into the core product. Does this make sense?

I am also hunting this fix down, and would be happy to test. I run unRAID on 2 Dell R515 with LSI cards and SAS disks (4TB). I'm in the process of moving one of my servers to an HPE DL380 G9 with an LSI card to a Supermicro 24 disk JBOD w/ IPMI. I'd love to be able to spin my disks down when not in use.

I have SAS in my environment because we have a blanket policy that no disks live in our environment after 3 years, which leaves me with a lot of older spares. I normally do a 7 pass write before adding them to unRAID and running preclear, so they are thoroughly tested before I use them, and they're free so I can't pass that up...

• Like 1
On 12/2/2019 at 12:43 PM, limetech said:

....if someone were so inclined, perhaps an upgrade license from Plus to Pro could result in a few 4TB SAS drives arriving for testing....