docker image location

rcrh

I currently have an 7 disc array (plus 1 disc for parity) so my 10 gig docker image is located on my disc1.  My Appdata is share is on disc3.  I'm trying to minimize my drive activity so I'm thinking about moving my image to disc3, which is my recently upgraded drive.

Is this possible?  Would it show things down since the docker apps & appdata would be on the same physical disc?  Am I worrying too much about disc wear & tear?

I see that the general guidance is to put the docker image on a cache drive but I don't have one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by rcrh
1 hour ago, John_M said:

Yes, you can move the docker.img if you want to - stop the docker service first - but it probably won't make much difference to performance. 

Do I have any to change anything in the docker settings tab after I move the image file (and before I restart the dockers)?

2 minutes ago, rcrh said:

Do I have any to change anything in the docker settings tab after I move the image file (and before I restart the dockers)?

That depends on the current settings for the Docker vdisk location. If it's currently set to /mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img (the default) then you don't need to change it but if it specifically references disk1 then you'll need to change it to reference disk3 instead. So, for example, /mnt/disk1/system/docker/docker.img would need to change to /mnt/disk3/system/docker/docker/img.

9 minutes ago, rcrh said:

I'd love to if I had anywhere to attach it.  Perhaps you have a suggestions for an inexpensive PCi x4 controller I could add?

I don't have any suggestions for a x4 controller but for a x8 one I'd suggest an LSI SAS controller. Alternatively, you can get a two port SATA controller based on the ASMedia ASM1061 or 1062 that fits in a x1 slot. You could then move a disk or two to the new controller and free up a motherboard port or two for SSDs.

2 minutes ago, John_M said:

That depends on the current settings for the Docker vdisk location. If it's currently set to /mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img (the default) then you don't need to change it but if it specifically references disk1 then you'll need to change it to reference disk3 instead. So, for example, /mnt/disk1/system/docker/docker.img would need to change to /mnt/disk3/system/docker/docker/img.

II currently have it set to:

/mnt/disk1/docker.img

so my steps should be:

1) shut down all dockers

2) move the image file

3) change docker vDisc location to /mnt/disk3/docker.img

4) restart the dockers.

That seems pretty straight forward.

But, since I have a256gb  mSATA SSD sitting around I might shop for another SATA controller first.  I could use it for my docker image, appdata, & a cache.

Thanks for the suggestions & pointers.

3 minutes ago, rcrh said:

so my steps should be:

1) shut down all dockers

2) move the image file

3) change docker vDisc location to /mnt/disk3/docker.img

4) restart the dockers.

Insert step 1.5 "Disable docker service in Settings -> Docker" and insert step 3.5 "Enable docker service in Settings -> Docker".

There are PCIe adapters that take either one or two mSATA SSDs and fit in a x1 slot. IOCrest or SEDNA do them, if I remember correctly.

21 minutes ago, John_M said:

Insert step 1.5 "Disable docker service in Settings -> Docker" and insert step 3.5 "Enable docker service in Settings -> Docker".

There are PCIe adapters that take either one or two mSATA SSDs and fit in a x1 slot. IOCrest or SEDNA do them, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the extra steps.  I forgot that I needed to turn off the service as well as stop the running dockers.

Concerning the mSATA I already have an mSATAT to SATA adapter from IOCrest that I was going to figure out how to mount but maybe I'll look at a dedicated PCIe card for it.  

I had a quick look at the IOCrest and they do have a card that fits a x1 slot.  It only takes one mSATA but that would still leave me a x4 slot for future expansion.  The card that takes 2 mSATAs requires at least a x2 slot.

Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by rcrh
  • 1 month later...

I followed these directions and copied my docker image to cache but I'm getting a warning now that tells me to recreate the docker.

"Your existing Docker image file needs to be recreated due to an issue from an earlier beta of Unraid 6. Failure to do so may result in your docker image suffering corruption at a later time. Please do this NOW!"

I don't think I've ran any betas of Unraid 6.  If I delete it what happens?  Do I need to go recreate them all again?

Also:  I copied the file with windows explorer.  If I change it back to the original file in the original location the message goes away.

Edited by rxnelson
adding info