Unmountable disk problem

Bedey

Ok no problem, not a big loss, by the way last time I tried to put a new hard drive I was following the wiki and I didn't do this step

9.Put a check in the Yes, I'm sure checkbox (next to the information indicating the drive will be rebuilt), and click the Start button

I didn't see any chechbox with this option, only one saying to format the drive(I didn't clicked it), I missed something? Next week I'll try to add again my bigger drive and I want to be sure I do everything correctly 

Ok, today I tried to put back the new 3tb drive, everything went well until the end of the rebuild, the new drive give me the same error (unmountable :no file system) so I stopped the array to try to fix the file system, but for no reason my drive have a different name than before, how I should procede? Screenshot_2019-11-22-02-43-59-642_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.13e8f61ea6e963ac04d44ae24b6d72e4.png

OK, I see the problem now, disk2 has the same ID as disk3:

Nov 21 18:06:38 Petere kernel: ata10.00: ATA-10: OOS3000G,             00000000, 0001OOS1, max UDMA/133

Nov 21 18:06:38 Petere kernel: ata9.00: ATA-10: OOS3000G,             00000000, 0001OOS1, max UDMA/133

You can only use one of these with Unraid, and these are no standard Seagate drives, maybe white label?

Edited by johnnie.black

Ok it's me, again.. 

I replaced the drive and started the rebuild, but it give again the same error "Unmountable :No file system" so I just run a check with -n and it said that the first superblock was missing, so I run again the repair tool with the -v, but apparently it just recovered some files under the "lost-found" folder, I did something wrong? 

Edited by Bedey
Grammar

So after replacing a disk it shouldn't give me any error if everything is good? I can't understand this behavior, the nas was stable even after two months of consecutive running, I'll try with a memtest, unfortunately right now I don't have any spare ram or hardware to test or replace 

5 minutes ago, Bedey said:

So after replacing a disk it shouldn't give me any error if everything is good?

If parity is correctly in sync, even before replacing the disk while it's disabled or even unassigned, the disk is emulated and all data there should be available, the same data that shows on the emulated disk will be on the rebuilt disk.

Sometimes filesystem gets corrupted when the disk is disabled, but unusual to corrupt the super block, and IIRC it's the third time it happens for you in a short space of time, so not normal at all, and filesystem corruption should never happen when upgrading disks, as long as parity is valid and in sync.

• Like 1