Dual Boot - Moving files from Windows to unRaid - same machine

Zoroeyes

Ok, just looking for suggestions here.

Basically, given all the problems I’m having with UEFI boot not launching the unRAID GUI, coupled with the fact that there seems to be a problem with certain NVME drive controllers and hardware pass-through (those found on the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVME - of which I have 5!), I’m toying with doing a dual-boot (unRaid and Windows 10). This would let me get the most out of my hardware under windows (AMD RAID etc) as a workstation when required, but the default boot would be into unRaid so it could act as a server on demand (via WOL).

However, the one main issue I see with this approach is: the ‘workstation’ element would be my main media-ripping/encoding machine, but the unRaid element (with its own cache and array drives) would be where I’d ultimately want to store that media. My question is, when unRaid isn’t running, how do I move my files from the Windows instance onto the unRaid cache so that it can be ‘moved’ when unRaid next boots? I did wonder whether the unRaid cache could be made visible from both boot modes, but obviously reading/writing to XFS form Windows ins’t easy, and if this was possible, would it even work the way I’m thinking?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks. 

28 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Is there a reason you are doing UEFI boot?   Very often booting in Legacy mode is more reliable if the motherboard supports it..

My ultimate intention was to maintain the ability to configure AMD raid volumes in BIOS, with a future view on supporting those volumes in a Windows VM. To access the AMD RaidXpert settings you have to have UEFI enabled. However, the specific NVME drives that I'm using (I've since found) have an issue passing their controllers through to VMs in unRaid, so this may render that approach impossible anyway.

I have another post where I'm looking at the best alternatives that I might use in UnRaid, which (if something is recommended that gives me acceptable performance from the NVME drives, without horrible overheads) will make this post redundant, but right now I'm struggling with which approach to take that will give me the best performance.