Fusion IO drivers

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying to figure this out, so I thought I would post what I have so far:

• There is a discord forum for fusionIO, here.
  • This tutorial gave me some info, sounds like have to get source code, build a new kernel. 
  • This is the github source code link, here
  • Need to build a custom kernal for Unraid, here (unraid uses slackware, I believe).

My thought was to build a Slackware VM, here, and figure this out, build the kernel.  (Then could I copy the kernel to the usb boot drive? dont know yet). Be forewarned, Slackware is a bit of different animal, only CLI, and there was a lot of prep to convert (deb packages) to be used.

A lot of gaps in the instructions, as I am primarily ubuntu user.

Googling on how to get fusionIO to work with Unraid, you might come across threads about drivers and paths, which has been requested and released.
I think we need a github project for fusionIO + Unraid so that people can contribute to this effort.
as of this post, there are still lots of fusionIO boards on ebay. They are not the fastest, but for the home brew server crowd, this is a great, high-endurance drive I would love to get working.
Hope this helps somebody

Edited by Robc390
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, Robc390 said:

fusionIO

Is this still a thing since NVME drives got faster and more reliable too, since fusionIO is basically dead...

17 minutes ago, Robc390 said:

My thought was to build a Slackware VM, here, and figure this out, build the kernel.  (Then could I copy the kernel to the usb boot drive? dont know yet). Be forewarned, Slackware is a bit of different animal, only CLI, and there was a lot of prep to convert (deb packages) to be used.

A lot of gaps in the instructions, as I am primarily ubuntu user.

You can use my Unraid-Kernel-Helper container to build your own customized version from unRAID but keep in mind I will deprecate the container in the near future because you can add basically everything via plugins since 6.9.0-beta35.

18 minutes ago, Robc390 said:

I think we need a github project for fusionIO + Unraid so that people can contribute to this effort.

From what I know a user customized the Kernel Helper somewhere on Github but it doesn't work for newer versions of unRAID because 6.9.2 uses Kernel 5.10.28 and the FusionIO Github repos, at least the ones that I know, only support Kernel versions up to 5.0.0

21 minutes ago, Robc390 said:

there are still lots of fusionIO boards on ebay.

But aren't they too expensive for what they offer in times of really speedy and reliable NVMEs?

14 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is this still a thing since NVME drives got faster and more reliable too, since fusionIO is basically dead...

You can use my Unraid-Kernel-Helper container to build your own customized version from unRAID but keep in mind I will deprecate the container in the near future because you can add basically everything via plugins since 6.9.0-beta35.

From what I know a user customized the Kernel Helper somewhere on Github but it doesn't work for newer versions of unRAID because 6.9.2 uses Kernel 5.10.28 and the FusionIO Github repos, at least the ones that I know, only support Kernel versions up to 5.0.0

But aren't they too expensive for what they offer in times of really speedy and reliable NVMEs?

Viable? Absolutely (IMO). I also mine Chia crypto, which chews up ssd's like crazy.

Paying for a high endurance ssd is more expensive compared to the used fusionIO market (your millage will vary).
I got a 1.2TB fusionduo (really 2x 650GB) for about $100 bucks.
I also am trying this out to expand my tech knowledge and challenge. 
I'd likely use nvme on a riser card for unraid cache, and the fusionIO to much out Chia crypto plots; if its going to destroy the drive, might as well be an old one. 

15 minutes ago, Robc390 said:

the fusionIO to much out Chia crypto plots; if its going to destroy the drive, might as well be an old one. 

As said above you can always build the FusionIO modules with the Kernel-Helper, simply search the Unraid-Kernel-Helper thread about FusionIO and you will find more information and maybe also the Github repo where he customized the Unraid-Kernel-Helper, but I don't think this won't work on newer unRAID versions because of the above said issues.

The main issue with this drives is that they are not actively maintained by someone, correct my if I'm wrong...

Also FusionIO was acquired by SanDisk.

It's been a while since I played with this since I ended up selling my fusionIO drive in favor of U.2 NVMEs, but ich777 is correct. You can absolutely use his Docker container to build the kernel modules as a plugin, but it'll be a massive pain to keep up with releases. Here's my repository with the build script I was using for testing. YMMV: https://github.com/juchong/unraid-fusionio-build

Edited by juchong
English
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Hi

i would also be happy about fusion iodrive driver

I have this:
Mass storage controller: SanDisk ioDrive2 (rev 04)

HP ioDrive 2 768GB

the current ones are here:
these also run with the latest Linux

https://github.com/RemixVSL/iomemory-vsl

the drive also works great with windows 10, debian, truenas usw.
the drive has an write endurance of 11 petabyte ! 
and you get this drives for 50-100 bucks on ebay with garantie and only used with 5-10%

Edited by igi
  • Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Bump for this thread

I have the Sandisk's flavor of the FusionIO drive, SX350 SSD (SDFADCMOS-6T40-SF1 6.4TB)
Its a 6.4TB drive that has great cost per GB, and performance is 2755/2194 MB/s its pretty good 6TB drive 
I've picked up a few for $250 each

They work great on everything except UNRAID as a Drive that UNRAID can use.

The fun thing is UNRAID sees the PCI device in System Devices as
"[1aed:3001] 04:00.0 Mass storage controller: SanDisk ioMemory FHHL"

In UNRAID I can pass it through as a PCI device to a VM (TrueNAS, Windows, ESXI, RHEL) install the drivers from Lenovo's site and the drive works.
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/search?query=Fusion ioMemory SX300 %2F SX350 PCIe SSD Driver&SearchType=Customer search&searchLocation=Masthead

So I was hoping that since even Windows 11 works with these drives that it would be really great if the drivers could be added to UNRAID so I can free up some drive bays in my Supermicro system we can use them on our favorite home media server hypervisor. 

While I could just run an WHOLE VM just to host the drive as a network share. It would be nice to not have to do that. 

Appreciate it.

Also side note,
I was wondering is there was anyway to like crowd fund/donate for specific features to be added?
Cuz I'de be willing to throw $100 into a pot to help facilitate adding this software for this hardware into UNRAID. I've had my Pro license for like 7 years and no complaints so I don't mind throwing some cash at this so that us weirdos with weird enterprise hardware can have more hardware support.
Thanks.

• 1 month later...