Upgrading to 6.7 from 6.6 - anything to know?

adminmat

Hi, so I'm running unRAID 6.6.7 because I was going to run unRAID on ESXi. (Upon recommendations)

I've decided to leave unRAID on bare metal so I'd like to upgrade to the latest (6.7) Is there anything I should be concerned about about? I'm really just running PiHole and Plex at the moment. I currently don't have a backup solution (working on this)

25 minutes ago, adminmat said:

I've decided to leave unRAID on bare metal so I'd like to upgrade to the latest (6.7) Is there anything I should be concerned about about? 

Yes, you should know that your Plex database has a good chance to become corrupted with 6.7.x if you do not have an SSD cache drive on which you store your appdata share.  It looks like (from your signature) that you have an SSD cache drive, so assuming docker appdata is there you should be OK.

You should also know that if you do a lot of simultaneous heavy writes to the array while also reading from array (mover, parity check, downloads, streaming, etc. simultaneously), you will see significantly degraded server performance on unRAID 6.7.x.

The solution in both cases is to run the current 6.8.0 release candidate (RC6) as both problems are resolved in this release.

Edited by Hoopster

@Hoopster & @jonathanm 

So just to be sure that I have my appdata, docker containers on the cache as you said... this is how I have it configured. Does this seem correct? I just want to be sure before I upgrade. 

The appdata share: (does "Prefer" mean it's on the cache pool)

appdata.PNG.d0a1edc5753beda4b398dd54c19eaba0.PNG

Plex docker container: 

546910811_dockerplex.PNG.5c953cf1c52d475d0a08069dbd274515.PNG

Pihole container:

837142184_dockerpihole.PNG.631fb92943abb0f8992935d3f452e323.PNG

@Hoopster, currently with 6.6.7 things slow way down when using the mover. For example if the mover is running I can't watch anything from the Plex server. I just thought this was normal. 

15 minutes ago, adminmat said:

The appdata share: (does "Prefer" mean it's on the cache pool)

Prefer means that if a cache drive is defined and present in the array that appdata will be stored there.  If you remove the cache drive(s)/pool or if the cache drive is full, appdata will be stored on or moved back to the array.  So, yes, in your current configuration, appdata is on your SSD cache pool.

15 minutes ago, adminmat said:

currently with 6.6.7 things slow way down when using the mover. For example if the mover is running I can't watch anything from the Plex server. I just thought this was normal

It was worse in 6.7.x.  Changes have been made in 6.8.0-RC that allow reads (such as streaming) to run at full speed when mover, parity checks and other heavy write operations are taking place.

With 6.8.0 you should find that mover does not prevent you from streaming from Plex.

Edited by Hoopster

Ok, based on all this I think the smartest thing to do may be:

Get an external USB drive and back-up everything first.

Then upgrade to 6.8.0. (i'm not scared of a RC)

So that being said: what is the best way to backup your entire server with one external USB drive? Can that be done with the Unassigned Drives plugin? 

3 minutes ago, adminmat said:

So that being said: what is the best way to backup your entire server with one external USB drive? Can that be done with the Unassigned Drives plugin? 

I have an unassigned 8TB external USB drive that I use to backup certain shares automatically when it is plugged in.  See the backup script example in the Unassigned Devices plugin thread.  You could modify that if you wish to backup ALL shares to the external USB drive if the drive is large enough to contain all of your data.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

I have an unassigned 8TB external USB drive that I use to backup certain shares automatically when it is plugged in.  See the backup script example in the Unassigned Devices plugin thread.  You could modify that if you wish to backup ALL shares to the external USB drive if the drive is large enough to contain all of your data.

Ok so the way the backup works is you backup by share? 

So I can backup multiple shares on the same external HDD?

I'll pick up a couple 12 TB easystore drives on BF. One for parity and the other for my external backup.

38 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Ok so the way the backup works is you backup by share? 

So I can backup multiple shares on the same external HDD?

You don't have to backup by user share.  That's just the way the sample script is configured.  That works for what I want to do.  However, in your case, perhaps you want to backup by disk share, so in the worst cast, you could just copy a backed up disk share back to /mnt/diskX/ on the server and restore disk by disk. You could certainly modify the script to do that.

Just remember that if you backup by user share you should copy files to user shares on the server.  If you backup by disk shares, you should restore files to disk shares. 

Since the source and destination are not both on the server you don't have the same risk of destroying data unintentionally as you would mixing user and disk shares on the server; however, it is just much easier to keep things straight to only work with one type of share in all operations.  It would take great care to copy files from backed up user shares to the many disks which may contain files from that share and not mess things up.

User to User share or Disk to Disk share.