Best way to copy/sync large data in high speed.

frodr

What is the recommended way to copy/sync large amount data (4TB) between Unraid server and a Qnap TVS471 NAS with best possible speed. Syncing from Unraid to Nas (WD Red 6TB in Raid1) using Resilio-Sync. Effective speed is about 10MB/s, which is......

Is there a way to do this to get close to 100MB/s? 

// Frode

Supermicro X11DAI-N, version 1.02 | AMI 3.1 | dual Xeon Silver 4116 | 64 MB RAM | 4 x Corsair Force MP510 (960GB) NvME ssd on Asus Hyper M.2x16 V2 l Unraid 6.72 l Quadro RTX4000 for Plex docker l RTX 2080 for Win kvm l Samsung 970 Pro as second ssd for Win Pro kvm l Asmedia PCIe USB card.

6 hours ago, frodr said:

What is the recommended way to copy/sync large amount data (4TB) between Unraid server and a Qnap TVS471 NAS with best possible speed. Syncing from Unraid to Nas (WD Red 6TB in Raid1) using Resilio-Sync. Effective speed is about 10MB/s, which is......

Is there a way to do this to get close to 100MB/s? 

// Frode

Supermicro X11DAI-N, version 1.02 | AMI 3.1 | dual Xeon Silver 4116 | 64 MB RAM | 4 x Corsair Force MP510 (960GB) NvME ssd on Asus Hyper M.2x16 V2 l Unraid 6.72 l Quadro RTX4000 for Plex docker l RTX 2080 for Win kvm l Samsung 970 Pro as second ssd for Win Pro kvm l Asmedia PCIe USB card.

The only fast way would be a 10GBit-Link between both machines...

Another question would be: How fast are your HDDs? They normaly max out at ~180MB/s

But in your case it seems Resilio-Sync is the limiting factor...

Edited by Zonediver

It seems that Resilio-Sync is slow. I guess a lot of initial indexing reduced the actual speed. I am considering 10G cards, but will like to understand if that's the limiting factor. Disks are, but the Array more so. What's the highest read speed of the array?

I have added the NAS as a smb share, and planned to copy with Krusader The smb share overview actual free size, but Krusader says only 32GB free. 

2 hours ago, frodr said:

Changing from binhex-Krusader to Krusader docker, fixed the problem not seeing the shares free space. 

Copying with Krusader show 15-20GB speed, so do ftp with FileZilla. Is the limitation in speed related to the smb share?

Can't answer this question because i use non of this things...

But i would say no. When i copy from my PC to unraid over the 10GBit-Link using SMB, i reach up to 560MB/s - the maximum what the SSDs can provide. The link itself is faster of corse - up to 1200MB/s.

Edited by Zonediver
9 hours ago, frodr said:

Changing from binhex-Krusader to Krusader docker, fixed the problem not seeing the shares free space. 

Copying with Krusader show 15-20GB speed, so do ftp with FileZilla. Is the limitation in speed related to the smb share?

I can't speak to Krusader as I haven't used it. Dolphin seems to greatly out perform Filezilla on my rig. I've done some testing and something is limiting my Filezilla to about 13MB/s (see image) this test is moving data within unraid from one share to another, I'm not sure why it isn't faster. Honestly I only use it out of laziness, if I'm already moving data from my seedbox to unraid with Filezilla then I will also use it to move internal folders as needed rather than opening dolphin. Note that internal moves are pretty rare for me... Next I tried Dolphin which is what I used to load my array for the first time, running the same exact test I used with Filezilla I got about 48MB/s. I'd say that's an expected speed considering my rig is really old. I may be wrong but I'd think you should get somewhere in the same neighborhood through USB 2.0, while not the 100 MB/s you're looking for it's better than the 15-20 you seem to be getting now.

filezilla.PNG

dolphin.PNG

Edited by Dissones4U