Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite / Pro (WiFi) / Ultra Tips & Tricks

On 12/17/2019 at 11:02 PM, Skitals said:

No experience with aida64, but here are my results (aida64 v6.20.5300)

Memory Read: 53295 MB/s

Memory Write: 44206 MB/s

Memory Copy: 51345 MB/s

Memory Latency: 87.4 ns

Edit: I had noticed high cpu usage while the guest report 1%, changing this from no to yes helped a bit and brough latency "down" to 83.3 ns. Still seems a bit high, yes?

Edit 2: Okay, I got memory latency "down" to 79.0ns AND reduced my idle cpu usage to practically 0% by making these two changes:

Switched the usb controller to 3.0 nec.

Turned hpet back OFF and added these hyperv flags:

Here are the new results:

Memory Read: 56165 MB/s

Memory Write: 44619 MB/s

Memory Copy: 52043 MB/s

Memory Latency: 79.0 ns

Thx a lot! Sorry for late replay but you solved one of my doubts about vm vs baremetal on ryzen. As you can see in my pic (it is my baremetal) the latency I achieve is 66.2ns, so not that far from yours. Memory reads is similar, you have way better WRITES, and similar copy results.

Great info thx!

aida63ram_noHT_mOC4300@1.3625v+xmp3666_3.png

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, sonic_reaction said:

Thanks for this write up, its been super helpful so far. I'm having problems passing the [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller to my windows 10 vm, it seems to completely crash unraid when I try to do this. Has anyone had any success in passing it through?

Me too i have this problem. I will try this kernel. 

20 hours ago, sonic_reaction said:

Thanks for this write up, its been super helpful so far. I'm having problems passing the [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller to my windows 10 vm, it seems to completely crash unraid when I try to do this. Has anyone had any success in passing it through?

The kernel works for me. 

Hello,

I am currently running an unraid server based on a Ryzen 1700 / Asus Prime Pro X370 / 32GB / 3 x 6TB + 1 parity / 1 TB ssd for VMs.

I have 4 Win 10 VMs + one Windows 2016 server.

I also have a Windows 10 computer with a 2600K / 16GB ram for my daily work with GTX2060.

I would like to build a new unraid server based on a ryzen 3900X / 64GB of ram. I'm still not decided for the motherboard. What I need is:

6 Win 10 VMs (6x4GB of ram) + 2 Windows 2016 server (6GB / 4GB of ram)

1 Win 10 VM with GTX2060 passthrough (16GB of ram)

1 Mac OS VM to run XCode and connect  iPhone / iPad.  I have a GT1060, can I passthrough it or should I consider another graphic card for the Mac OS VM?

Gigabyte AORUS Elite X570 is available in Mexico (I don't have so many options of motherboard here) and I would like to know if I can achieve my setup with this motherboard.

I will keep same HDD drives but will add 2 x Intel consumer 660p 2TB for my VMs.

Thanks for your comments / suggestions

2 hours ago, AlexMex said:

Hello,

I am currently running an unraid server based on a Ryzen 1700 / Asus Prime Pro X370 / 32GB / 3 x 6TB + 1 parity / 1 TB ssd for VMs.

I have 4 Win 10 VMs + one Windows 2016 server.

I also have a Windows 10 computer with a 2600K / 16GB ram for my daily work with GTX2060.

I would like to build a new unraid server based on a ryzen 3900X / 64GB of ram. I'm still not decided for the motherboard. What I need is:

6 Win 10 VMs (6x4GB of ram) + 2 Windows 2016 server (6GB / 4GB of ram)

1 Win 10 VM with GTX2060 passthrough (16GB of ram)

1 Mac OS VM to run XCode and connect  iPhone / iPad.  I have a GT1060, can I passthrough it or should I consider another graphic card for the Mac OS VM?

Gigabyte AORUS Elite X570 is available in Mexico (I don't have so many options of motherboard here) and I would like to know if I can achieve my setup with this motherboard.

I will keep same HDD drives but will add 2 x Intel consumer 660p 2TB for my VMs.

Thanks for your comments / suggestions

The Elite only has two x16 slots, and the second is limited to x4 speed. Keep that in mind if you are planning on passing through 2 gpus. I would recommend stepping up to the Ultra (which is what I did). The 1060 will work with a Mac OS VM, but you will be limited to high sierra. There is no nvidia support in modern mac os.

Are you planning on running all these VMs at once? 

On my 1700x I have the 4 Windows 10 VMs, one Windows 2016 server and also 2 Windows 7 VM running all at the same time and it's almost acceptable. WSUS is a bit short in memory so I have to take care when filtering update.

3 of the Win 10 VMs are dedicated to a specific project so I will have them running from time to time as well as the MAC Os VM and a Windows 2016 server.

3 Win 10 VMs, Win10 VM with passthrough and my main Windows 2016 server (WSUS, SQL Server) should be running all the time.

I found the AORUS Ultra version and I already bought hardware with this provider so it could be a good option

For recent Mac OS which AMD card is easy to passthrough?

On 12/6/2019 at 4:34 AM, Sleepyme said:

Thanks Skitals for bring up about this f10 bios and the amazing iommu group it comes with. I couldn't get the usb controllers (or any devices) to passthrough using the vfio-pci.cfg method. BUt i was able to do it by editing my xml file. 

Now i don't need to buy a usb pcie card! Yay!

Now lets hope we can pass the onboard audio in the future!

Can you tell me how you did this pls via xml

On 12/5/2019 at 11:34 PM, Sleepyme said:

Thanks Skitals for bring up about this f10 bios and the amazing iommu group it comes with. I couldn't get the usb controllers (or any devices) to passthrough using the vfio-pci.cfg method. BUt i was able to do it by editing my xml file. 

Now i don't need to buy a usb pcie card! Yay!

Now lets hope we can pass the onboard audio in the future!

Onboard audio now works on 6.8.0-rc5 with this kernel:

3 minutes ago, Dava2k7 said:

Gets stuck at boot

This will happen if you don't read and stub the usb controller being used by unraid. Put your unraid usb in another computer and delete the file config/vfio-pci.cfg and your computer will "work" again.

I would recommend doing your due diligence and read a whole lot more before proceeding.