Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite / Pro (WiFi) / Ultra Tips & Tricks

I'm so confused right now. This morning unraid wouldn't even load up. I can get to the unraid menu at the beginning and thats about it. I can't access unraid via ip now. 

Omg I'm so stupid.....i have wifi turned off on my phone. I hope no data gets corrupted since i forced shutdown so many times. :(

Edited by phat_cow
7 minutes ago, rachid596 said:

Post your syslinux config. Do you bind some device ? 

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off isolcpus=3-11,15-23
label Unraid OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append isolcpus=3-11,15-23 initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label Unraid OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Unraid OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

And this is what my vfio-pci.cfg looks like:

BIND=0000:06:00.0|1022:1485 0000:06:00.1|1022:149c 0000:06:00.3|1022:149c 0000:03:00.0|1987:5012

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 8:31 AM, steveBBB said:

Thanks for this information.

I have the same set up and also is working great, I have noticed though that When you try restart a vm it goes into a paused state and needs to be force stopped and restarted.

Logs show gpu related issue vfio_err_notifier_handler(0000:0a:00.1) Unrecoverable error detected

I have an Rx580 passed though.

Any help would be amazing.

Did you ever get this figured out have been having the issue forever..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

On my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi, i tried Skitals steps to enable the Fan Sensors and it did not work.

By running sensors-detect, I get:
- k10temp
- it87

drivers1.thumb.png.c211041d5fc47c0e3339f1db5bfa8624.png

drivers2.thumb.png.a3729155b796ca906d99cf808335a074.png

image.png.c77838ea1973d5fa53d8d90560559b44.png

The below link shows a patch for the chip IT8792, and some people have successfully ran it on other versions of linux.

https://github.com/lm-sensors/lm-sensors/issues/154#issuecomment-665108550

But I don't know if it will break something if I run it on unraid.

Can someone having the same mobo tell me what they did to fix this?

Fans don't get detected.

Also, from my photo, can someone tell me which temperature is my CPU and which one is my Motherboard?

Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:57 AM, hrv231 said:

Hello,

On my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi, i tried Skitals steps to enable the Fan Sensors and it did not work.

By running sensors-detect, I get:
- k10temp
- it87

drivers1.thumb.png.c211041d5fc47c0e3339f1db5bfa8624.png

drivers2.thumb.png.a3729155b796ca906d99cf808335a074.png

image.png.c77838ea1973d5fa53d8d90560559b44.png

The below link shows a patch for the chip IT8792, and some people have successfully ran it on other versions of linux.

https://github.com/lm-sensors/lm-sensors/issues/154#issuecomment-665108550

But I don't know if it will break something if I run it on unraid.

Can someone having the same mobo tell me what they did to fix this?

Fans don't get detected.

Also, from my photo, can someone tell me which temperature is my CPU and which one is my Motherboard?

Thanks.

I'm using the same motherboard as you and I keep getting code 43 off my 970. Is yours running fine?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow Ultra owners. Dumb question... If I have a Ryzen 2400G, is that a reason for why the 2nd PCIe slot does not show up at all?

I have '3' GPUs (slot 1 & slot 2) and the Ryzen iGPU. UNRAID can only see the GPU in slot 1 and the iGPU. I do also have two m.2 sticks installed and can see both of those. Sometimes the m.2 lanes overlap PCIe GPU slots.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 4:22 PM, Econaut said:

Hello fellow Ultra owners. Dumb question... If I have a Ryzen 2400G, is that a reason for why the 2nd PCIe slot does not show up at all?

I have '3' GPUs (slot 1 & slot 2) and the Ryzen iGPU. UNRAID can only see the GPU in slot 1 and the iGPU. I do also have two m.2 sticks installed and can see both of those. Sometimes the m.2 lanes overlap PCIe GPU slots.

Check manual for your board. Pretty sure 2400G has less PCIE lanes than some CPUs cos some allocated to that iGPU ;-)

On 11/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Skitals said:

USB Passthrough:

Leaving PCIe ACS override disabled, you should have ~34 IOMMU groups (give or take depending on how many PCIe devices you have connected) if you look in Tools > System Devices. There should be 3 USB controllers with the same vendor/device ID (1022:149c). Two of them will be lumped together with a PCI bridge and "Non-Essential Instrumentation." Those are the two we want to pass! The more logical option would be the controller isolated in its own group, but I could NOT get that one to pass. The trick is run your Unraid USB off that third controller, and we can pass the other two controllers together. Run your Unraid USB out of the rear white USB port labeled BIOS. That white USB 3.0 port plus the neighboring 3 blue USB 3.0 ports share a controller. Use these other ports for your keyboard and mouse (to be passed through as devices) and your UPS or whatever else you want Unraid to access.

Note the addresses of the two USB controllers AND the "Non-Essential Instrumentation" in that IOMMU. In my case they are 07:00.0, 07:00.1, 07:00.3. Create the file /boot/config/vfio-pci.cfg with the following contents:

When you reboot, these devices will available in the vm xml gui to passthrough under Other PCI Devices. Pass all 3 of them together! If you do not pass the "Non-Essential Instrumentation" Unraid will throw a warning in the logs that the .1 controller is dependent on it and unavailable to reset. When you passthrough all three together you will get no errors/warnings and everything works.

Bonus: Bluetooth on this board is a usb device tied to the .3 controller and is passed through along with the controller!

Note: When you add or remove PCIe devices, these addresses can/will change. When you add or remove a PCIe device, check Tools > System Devices to see if the USB addresses have changed and update vfio-pci.cfg accordingly.

Single (NVIDIA) GPU Passthrough:

For single GPU passthrough, you need to disable graphical output in Unraid. From the Main menu, click the name of your Boot Device (flash). Under Syslinux Config -> Unraid OS, add "video=efifb:off" after "append initrd=/bzroot". The line should now read "append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off".

When you reboot you will notice there is no video output when unraid boots (you will be left with a freeze frame of the boot menu). Your solo GPU is now ready to pass. 

For Nvidia you will need the vbios for your card. I dumped my own following this tutorial using second gpu. If you can't dump your own, trying following this tutorial to download/modify a working vbios.

Now simply pass your GPU, vbios, and the Sound Card that goes with your GPU from the vm xml gui.

Thanks for this (and the PMs)

Is the advice on the controllers to pass still valid?  My new X570 Taichi has same controller layout as per AGESA (most X570 are same I think) but my controllers have

#1 - 1xA, 1xC

#2 - 1xC, 4xA, 2xUSB2-A

#3 - 4xA

#1 and #2 are in same group but can they be passed to diff VMs once stubbed/bound?

#3 is in the group you say we cannot pass.

Ideally I would want unRAID stick on #1 since its least ports but if I have to do as per your post I'd end up using 4xA for unRAID stick and having #1 for one VM and #2 for another VM ----- if all that makes any sense ;)

Edited by methanoid
22 minutes ago, methanoid said:

Check manual for your board. Pretty sure 2400G has less PCIE lanes than some CPUs cos some allocated to that iGPU ;-)

Yeah that makes sense. I did try to decipher the manual but it was very unclear when it comes to this configuration so I was hoping for someone who may be better informed than myself to weigh in.

This is the 'spec':

Integrated in the CPU (PCIEX16/PCIEX8):

1. 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors:

• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 4.0 and running at x16 (PCIEX16)
  • 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 4.0 and running at x8 (PCIEX8)

2. 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors/3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics processors:

• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 3.0 and running at x16 (PCIEX16)
  • 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 3.0 and running at x8 (PCIEX8)
  •     * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  •     * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When using the 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors/2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors and PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x8 mode.

3. 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics processors/1st Generation AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics processors:

• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 3.0 and running at x8 (PCIEX16)

Integrated in the Chipset (PCIEX4/PCIEX1):

• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 4.0*/3.0 and running at x4 (PCIEX4)
  •     * For 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors only.
  • 2 x PCI Express x1 slots, supporting PCIe 4.0*/3.0
  •     * For 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors only.

image.thumb.png.54bf42537f971fa3832ba0ca6a5cba48.png

It's actually a lot clearer here than it was in the manual so it does seem to indicate that I get just one PCIe x16 (running at x8). So it looks like the 2400G is just a terrible matchup... Looks like I need to wait for a gen3 iGPU/APU.

• 6 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, Skitals said:

USB Passthrough:

Leaving PCIe ACS override disabled, you should have ~34 IOMMU groups (give or take depending on how many PCIe devices you have connected) if you look in Tools > System Devices. There should be 3 USB controllers with the same vendor/device ID (1022:149c). Two of them will be lumped together with a PCI bridge and "Non-Essential Instrumentation." Those are the two we want to pass! The more logical option would be the controller isolated in its own group, but I could NOT get that one to pass. The trick is run your Unraid USB off that third controller, and we can pass the other two controllers together. Run your Unraid USB out of the rear white USB port labeled BIOS. That white USB 3.0 port plus the neighboring 3 blue USB 3.0 ports share a controller. Use these other ports for your keyboard and mouse (to be passed through as devices) and your UPS or whatever else you want Unraid to access.

This USB pass-through write-up is still relevant and I performed it today on my ASUS ROG Strix X570-E on the latest BIOS build (Version 4021) which appears to have an identical architecture as the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS.

One thing to note ... the internal USB headers are also attached to the same controller we are able to pass through.  So, if you need to run an internal peripheral and want to keep it attached to the Unraid host (e.g. a fan controller, LED controller, etc.) you're SOL! 😡

There are 2 internal USB2 headers on the board(s), but they are both attached to the same controller.  I wish they split them between the controllers, but from a board design and layout standpoint, I understand why they didn't.

-JesterEE

Edited by JesterEE
  • 2 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 8:38 PM, Skitals said:

UEFI / BIOS Settings:

Tweaker -> Advanced CPU Settings -> SVM Mode -> Enable

Settings -> Miscellaneous -> IOMMU -> Enable

Settings -> AMD CBS -> ACS Enable -> Enable

Settings -> AMD CBS -> Enable AER Cap -> Enable

I can confirm the above having same location on the x570 I Aorus Pro Wifi mini-itx F35d except AER Cap which is found in:
Settings -> AMD CBS -> NBIO Common Options -> Enable AER Cap
;) 

Im confused tho why you are saying:

For single GPU passthrough, you need to disable graphical output in Unraid.

From unraid ive bound my GeForce GTX 1080 Ti to vfio at boot, and so far my transformed physicals pc into Unraid+daily vm works as a charm (If i don't fk it up randomly) 🤣🤣. Kind of new to unraid so maybe someone can explain why to disable from start instead of how i did it :) 

As a beginner i do prefer to see if something got messed up and the error message at boot so i google my next challenge(fix)

On a 3rd note.. Does someone else had/hve problems passing Logitech Unifying dongle to vm? 
Whenever im passing it the vm doesnt event boot and gives "wdf_violation" and i cant find any fix for it 

Edited by obi-WAN-kenobi
adding information
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...