Noob homeserver/plex build - i3-8300/C246 Build

Hi

Pretty new to all this but hoping you guys can help, requirement and use case below:

• I have been wanting to build a homeserver / single place to store photos etc. and have them protected against hard drive failure.
  • Would also like to run lightroom etc. direct from the server.
  • I also would like to dip my toe in the Plex world and get all my media ready to be streamed both in the house and to my phone etc. when I am away with work.
  • Finally I am building a new house in the next year or two so would like what I build to be rack mountable and something which can come with me and not be out of date straight away.

So I read unraid is a pretty good solution for this. 

2nd hand hardware seems to be pretty much a rip off in the UK so looking at new. 

Some conflicting ideas of ECC memory but I guess generally seems like a good idea so planning to base my system around a C246 board:

Gigabyte Intel C246M-WU4 XEON MicroATX Server Motherboard

or 

Supermicro Motherboard X11SCA-F

In terms of processor I was thinking of trying an i3-8300 as the igpu hardware acceleration should give a hand to any transcoding duties with the potential to upgrade to an Xeon 2146 also with an IGPU in the future if the i3 doesn't keep up. I like the idea of keeping my library at as high quality as I can get away with but I know this might not be sensible.

Budget wise I was trying to keep things around the £500 mark minus the main storage drives.

Thinking like 3x4TB WD Red and a 500GB SSD Cache to start with?

Please let me know what you think/ throw rocks!

Many Thanks.

If you want to go the QuickSynce AND IPMI, then you should read this thread if you haven't already. Several users have been able to get both working on the X11SCA-F.

Thanks, I had read that thread and it was some of the inspiration for the build.

Was really wanting to get some thoughts on the i3 chip? Xeon E seem to pretty difficult to pick up and are £££ at the minute.

Also any thoughts on supermicro vs. gigabite? Quite a large cost difference.
I am not sure I need IMPI, I assume this just lets you remote in and reboot the server?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk