Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3041 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Zfs on Linux, is not BSD zfs. Zfs on Linux is a near complete port and recode, many many optimizations.

I am aware there is an addon, this is about native support. 

freenas is bsd, it’s not Linux kernel and not unraid. The argument to use freenas is counter productive it is the same as saying oh you want share files on a windows network (samba/cifs)... use Microsoft windows server. 

22 minutes ago, eXtremeSHOK said:

With regards to btrfs ... I highly doubt you are using any of the advanced features, if it’s the default install, you might aswell be using xfs. Atleast recovery will be possible.

I am for several years now, on all my servers, backups are done with snapshots and then send/receive to another server, and never had any issues, agree that zfs is more stable, but btrfs has been stable for some time (if used on stable hardware), especially for single device filesystems, like Unraid arrays devices, raid profiles, do still have some issues, if devices drop, etc, especially raid5/6.

I agree with the previous post by Ellis34771:

I have zero desire to use ZFS.  I've looked at it.  If I wanted it, I'd have gone with FreeNAS. 
I wouldn't mind if other storage options were to be added, but it sort of goes against what UnRAID is.  (IMHO)

I think at the moment ZFS would just introduce unwanted complexity for the majority of home users of Unraid, and think the Lime team would be better adding features such as Server to Server native backup/sync. I realize I might be in the minority here holding this view! 😎

Edited by peterg23
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, peterg23 said:

I think at the moment ZFS would just introduce unwanted complexity for the majority of home users of Unraid, and think the Lime team would be better adding features such as Server to Server native backup/sync. I realize I might be in the minority here, holding this view! 😎

I am in agreement with you.

4 hours ago, peterg23 said:

I think at the moment ZFS would just introduce unwanted complexity for the majority of home users of Unraid, and think the Lime team would be better adding features such as Server to Server native backup/sync. I realize I might be in the minority here, holding this view! 😎

Compared to the complexity of managing BTRFS issues? - I'm not sure there's much of a difference.  The only real reason BTRFS is included is to provide the ability to create a software mirror for cache.  I've had a number of issues with that, including that it didn't actually set up the cache, even though it reported it did.  This was later fixed in a firmware upgrade, so perhaps it was more configuration based.  And you forget, it only introduces complexity if you decide to use it.  It's only being asked that support is added, not that it is set to on by default.  Though in my opinion it would be a far better, less complex and more reliable option to be the default cache.  But hey, that's just me.

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

Not a fan of BTRFS but at least BTRFS doesn't bring legal issues with it like anything Oracle owns or touches, such as ZFS. I wouldnt touch anything Oracle if I was a company like Limetech.

I agree about not touching oracle software generally as a business - it's insanely expensive.  However, the above no longer applies nowadays, sometimes people say it and it scares people off (which is helping no-one IMO) - you can read about it online - I've posted a few examples on it before on these forums.  Others have noted the same, I'd suggest you haven't gone searching for the why we could, rather you've repeated the age old discussion on why we shouldn't.  Things do move on.  (No offence intended).

You can't just dismiss the huge Oracle court system win concerning API Copyrights. If the court case isn't overturned, I have no doubts Oracle will unleash lawsuits everywhere over every thing they have APIs for including Java and ZFS. There is no way of moving on unless that court case is overturned.

That's been going on for years and there's always an appeal.  If you're going to look for reasons why not though, you will find them.  There are plenty of those about all sorts of things on the unraid forums for example.  Meanwhile, if you do look for examples of how you could, you will see those exist as well, and plenty of places are doing it.  Kinda pointless discussion to be honest.  

I’ve posted about it here twice already. There are already other spots on the internet. Look up Ubuntu for example. I’m sorry that I’m not being overly helpful but I don’t wish to start a whole discussion on something and end up in a whole opinion piece that neither of us can win in the wrong thread. :). But just google it. I found heaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, iamgadgetman said:

I don't know if it's too difficult but I'd really love to cluster some unraid servers together so I could pool together docker instances and VM resources, as well as have separate physical location for physical drives.

That certainly wouldn't be simple in the least, but it would be wicked cool. 

I typically use SMB shares to mount to other servers so I can have a single access point for now.  (I have a smaller server as well that I use UNRAID to "pass thru" to it)

• SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist